Sunday, June 13, 2010

Asparagus with Tomatoes and Feta

This is another one I found on Annie's Eats while playing around on her blog last week. I have really been trying to like tomatoes lately. I knew I would be successful if I paired them with asparagus and feta cheese! Not only is this side dish fresh and flavorful, but its so pretty to look at. I love the way the colors really pop on your plate. Giada from the Food Network says you always eat with your eyes first, and I couldn't agree more. I think that the plating of your food is almost as important as how it tastes. That's why I love going out to eat at pricey restaurants. They always plate your food like an art masterpiece! With this side dish, you can plate yours at home for a lot less than going out to a white tablecloth restaurant. Fix your asparagus however you'd like. Steam, grill, broil. However. Its all going to be delicious when topped with tomatoes and feta!



1 bunch asparagus
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped (onion can be a substitute)
2-3 vine ripened tomatoes, seeded and diced
3 oz. crumbled feta cheese
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus stems. Drizzle the asparagus with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Lay in a single layer in a baking pan. Roast in the oven for approximately 10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from oven and set aside.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the shallot or onion until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes to the pan and cook 2-3 minutes, just to warm and wilt very slightly (I used halved grape tomatoes). Remove the mixture from the heat, stir in the feta, and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Place the warm asparagus on a serving platter (or individual plates) and top with the tomato-feta mixture. Serve immediately.




Enjoy!




(adapted from Annie's Eats)

3 comments:

  1. These colors do look amazing! I bet this would be amazing with home grown tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so with you on the tomatoes, esp with my big garden I am trying and trying and TRYING to like them, it's a consistency thing for me. What did you think of the finished dish?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked using the grape tomatoes. And cooking the tomatoes really brings out their sweetness. Mixed with the feta, they were great!

    ReplyDelete