Thursday, June 3, 2010

Dining Through Disney: Day Two

After having a wonderful day in Epcot and dining in Japan and Mexico, we were excited about getting our day started with a great breakfast! We knew we had a long day ahead of us. We had reservations for breakfast, lunch and dinner! I'm glad I brought my "big" shorts, because I sure needed them!

Day Two Breakfast: Whispering Canyon Cafe at Disney's Fort Wilderness Lodge

I love breakfast foods. Pancakes and waffles are probably my favorite. I think you guys know how much I love maple syrup! Elizabeth was dying for me to try the biscuits and gravy at The Whispering Canyon Cafe. The biscuits were so fresh and fluffy and the sausage gravy was out of this world! My favorite were the Mickey Waffles. I ate 3. Yes 3! And eggs, bacon, biscuit...



This restaurant was really neat for several reasons. One, it is right off of the lobby of the Fort Wilderness Lodge which is a beautiful sight in itself. Second, breakfast is served in a family-style, all-you-can-eat tin skillet. The bigger your party, the bigger the skillet! It was super yummy. Oh, and don't forget to ask for the ketchup! In the skillet you get eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits, gravy, hash browns and waffles. Mickey Waffles! Those were the lightest, fluffiest, Belgian waffles I have ever had. I had to ask for a refill on those!



This guy kept trying to sneak in a picture with us, so we finally just agreed and told him to smile! He was from Port Au Prince, Haiti. It is so interesting seeing all of the name tags of the cast members and seeing where they are all from. Its amazing that so many people from all over the world come together to make Disney so magical.



We forgot to take a picture of the skillet, so we thought we would share a picture of the aftermath. Breakfast was delicious! We've got lots of walking to do now so we can make room for lunch. We're headed over to the Magic Kingdom!



Day Two Lunch: Liberty Tree Tavern at Disney's Magic Kingdom

This reservation was sort of spur-of-the-moment. We weren't quite sure what we wanted, so we made this reservation last minute (the day before). What a great move that was! This meal was delicious. It was a little heavy for lunch, so I might recommend trying it for dinner. Although, it was probably only so heavy because we at such a good breakfast!



For our appetizer we both had the salad with homemade strawberry vinaigrette. The cuisine at the Liberty Tree Tavern is very colonial. Good 'ole comfort food.



Elizabeth tried the New England Pot Roast. It was braised beef in a Cabernet wine and mushroom sauce served with mashed potatoes and garden vegetables. It was insanely good. I kept reaching over the table and stealing bites! I would love for my roasts at home to turn out that good! I should have asked to speak to the Chef to get the secret!



I ordered the Chicken and Dumplings with carrots and celery. It was good, but not as good as Elizabeth's! I liked these dumplings though. They were homemade, but they reminded me of the frozen ones that I use when I make chicken and dumplings. I like those better than the "drop" dumplings. What my dumplings lacked, my dessert more than made up for!



I ordered the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake. Oh. My. Heavens. It was a vanilla cake with a gooey toffee filling sprinkled with little bits of Heath bar, and drizzled with a chocolate sauce. I was stuffed to the gills, but I managed to eat every single bite of that thing! It was delicious! And the cute Mickey Mouse sprinkles made it that much more special! We had fast passes to ride Thunder Mountain after lunch. We skipped it because I don't think the people riding with us would have appreciated if I lost my lunch on them!



Elizabeth ordered the Caramel Apple Tart. It was a shortbread crust, sugared apples and ice cream drenched in a caramel sauce. We tried to dissect it to recreate it at home. It was Heaven also. If you are ever in the Magic Kingdom, I suggest going to the Liberty Tree Tavern for a dessert party. Order every single one on the Menu and plan on going to sleep early! They all looked divine!

Thank goodness our dinner reservations weren't until 9:00 that night!



Day Two Dinner: Boma at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge



We went back to our room and took a nap after our lunch at the Liberty Tree Tavern! We were going to head over to Magic Kingdom for Magic Hours until 3:00 AM, so we needed our rest! We also were thankful for our late dinner reservation because we were still so full! Boma is an all you can eat buffet showcasing the multicultural influences of Africa. I was really impressed. I liked being able to sample so many different foods. Go Here to check out a sample of the menu! I didn't get pictures like I should have! I was too excited about eating, I guess!

Some of my favorites:
Chicken Salad with Chili Cilantro
Curry Pasta Salad
Falafel with Honey Mustard Yogurt Sauce
Cous Cous Marrakesh
Black Eyed Peas with Cabbage
Pork Shoulder



And the desserts. Oh, the desserts! I was tempted to just ignore them. I thought out of sight, out of mind. But, Elizabeth convinced me otherwise. They had Caramel Cheesecake, Chocolate Mousse, Espresso Cups, Chocolate Brownie, Coconut Squares, and so much more! The little size was perfect for sampling. I grabbed one of just about everything. And ate almost the entire plate. I had a lot of walking to do before I was going to be able to hop on the roller coasters at Magic Kingdom that night!



That night Magic Kingdom had Magic Hours from 12:00-3:00 AM!! After Boma we headed over there to catch the rides with short wait times. This was right before PhilarMagic. It was a great 3-D show. Ella would have loved all of the songs! We ended up getting to ride Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain walking right on, and less than a 10 minute wait for Space Mountain. It really pays to take a nap and take advantage of late night Magic Hours when everyone else is sleeping!


Day Three Next!

No comments:

Post a Comment