Sunday, June 27, 2010

Dining Through Disney: Day Three

We actually had a little time to get hungry today because we didn't eat until lunch! Because we were at the Magic Kingdom until 3:00 AM the night before we slept in. We headed over to Hollywood Studios for the afternoon. The crowds weren't bad at all! I was really expecting crazy crowds for Memorial Day, but we got lucky. We actually walked right on to Tower of Terror at 2:00 in the afternoon!



Day Three Lunch: Mama Melrose's at Disney's Hollywood Studios

I knew that all of our meals were going to be great, but this one was better than I expected. I guess when I was doing my planning I was expecting just an Italian pizza joint. This place was WAY more. It was fabulous. Elizabeth and I both ordered the same thing for the one and only time during the trip. Since we were on the dining plan, we would always try to order the most expensive thing on the menu to get the most for our money. I noticed at most of the restaurants there was a good difference in some of the prices. Like at Mama Melrose's for example. You could order a simple pizza for about $12 or you could order the tuna steak like we did for about $23. If I was just paying out of my wallet, I would have gone for the $11 entree. But not today. We went all out.



We started out with 2 appetizers. I ordered the Antipasta platter for two. They still let it count as one appetizer. I love meats and cheeses and this plate was such a great sampler of all of the Italian snacks. I really enjoyed the marinated mushrooms. The Parmesan cheese was great. I saved some of it for my tuna entree. Yum Yum Yum!



Elizabeth ordered the Tomato Mozzarella Stacks with a Balsamic Glaze. I'm not a huge fan of raw tomatoes, but the mozzarella was fresh and fabulous. She dipped over onto my plate a few times too :)



For our main entree we both ordered the wood grilled tuna steak. It was served over a bed of Creamy Tomato Risotto, warm vine-ripened diced red and yellow tomatoes, and Olive-Caper Butter. It was insanely good. Probably one of my favorites the entire trip. Seafood is not something I usually enjoy (Crazy, I know!) but I love a good tuna steak. And this was one of the best! I sincerely recommend eating here if you go to Disney World.



I was craving Tiramisu, so I was excited when I saw it on the menu. But, it wasn't the Tiramisu I was expecting. It was sort of a Tiramisu ice cream of sorts. Honestly, not something I enjoyed. I should have ordered the Warm Chocolate Truffle Cake! That was something I would have liked!


Day Three Dinner: Citrico's at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort



After playing at Hollywood Studios for a few hours we headed back to our room to get ready for dinner. This was going to be our nice dinner! We made reservations at Citrico's at the Grand Floridian Resort. This one took 2 of our meal tickets and boy was it worth it! First of all, the Grand Floridian is absolutely stunning. I stayed here with my family one of our last trips to Disney as a family when I was younger. I loved being able to send my Mom pictures with my phone to bring back some of those old memories.



The dinner was sensational. We both started out with appetizers. Elizabeth ordered the Sauteed Shrimp. They were sauteed with lemon, white wine, tomatoes and feta cheese. I don't normally like shrimp, but these were fabulous! When I asked our waitress for a copy of the menu, she brought me back some recipes. One of the recipes was for these shrimp! I will make these one day. Although, not sure when. I'm not sure when we'll ever be able to cook with fresh shrimp from our waters.



I ordered the Arancini. Crispy Risotto with Crimini Mushrooms, Asiago Cheese, and White Truffle Aioli. They were so good. I've seen recipes for this sort of thing, but never actually made them. I've never even made Risotto, so maybe I should start there first!



I knew before we even left for our trip that I was going to get the Filet when we got to Citrico's. I was saving my steak dinner for this night. It was all I expected it to be. It was called the Filet Sicilian- Oak-grilled Filet with Spanish Onions, Peppadew and Banana Peppers, Carrot-Potato Purree, and Roasted Vegetables and Veal Glace de Viande. Oh. My. Gosh. It was THE MOST tender steak I have ever put in my mouth. It cut like butta :) So delicious! The carrot-potato puree was really good. That is definitely something that I could recreate at home. I did something similar with broccoli, so I'll have to try that soon.



Elizabeth wanted to dive in and order the most expensive thing on the menu. She got brave and ordered the Braised Veal Shank with Carrot-Potato Puree, Roasted Vegetables and Toasted Citrus Gremolata. Holy Moly. That was a piece of meat! We got so tickled with that big bone sticking out. They even brought out one of those tiny little forks, which we were assuming you were supposed to use to eat the marrow. Who knows. We didn't try it! But all we could sing was, "She don't eat meat, but she sure likes the bone!" Good laughs :)



And, as always, dessert was awesome. I truly think that was my favorite part about the trip. All of the desserts! Since I had Tiramisu on the brain, I had to order it when I saw it on the dessert menu. Yum Yum Yum! I almost licked my plate :)



Elizabeth ordered the Warm Chocolate Banana Tart with a Godiva Chocolate Crown. It was a magnificent looking dessert! It was the perfect ending to such an amazing dinner! The service was great. We just loved our waitress. In addition to the menu and recipes she brought us, she also brought us Mickey straws for the kids, fresh biscotti, and an entire loaf of the fresh black olive bread. Oh yeah...I almost forgot. The bread that we had for a starter was a fresh artisanal black olive bread. Scrumptous smeared with butter. Oh, la la!



When we left Citrico's, we headed over the Animal Kingdom for Magic Hours. We only had about 3 hours, so we really tried to make the most of it. It started to rain about an hour before the park closed. Everybody left because some of the rides shut down due to lightning. We took advantage of that and waited around for them to open Expedition Everest back up. We got to ride it twice in a row with NO wait! It was the most fun! Definiltely a great experience! The night got closed up with a wet ride down Cali River Rapids. That was my first and last time to ride that ride. I'm just glad that we were already wet from the rain and went straight to our car. We got soaked!





Day Four: Lunch in Epcot before coming home

Lunch: Le Chefs de France in Epcot's France



We had one meal voucher left so we wanted to take advantage of it before heading home that last day. We decided to get up early and spend half of a day in the parks. We started at Magic Kingdom for Magic Hours and caught some of the rides that we missed a couple of nights before. Then we hopped over to Epcot to do some shopping and eat in France. It was incredibly hot that day, so it was so nice to step inside the restaurant and cool off in our beautiful window seats!



Elizabeth, as always, was ready to live on the edge. The most expensive thing this time for the appetizer was Cassolette d'escargots de Bourgogne au Beurre Persille. You guessed it. Snails. Of course I had to try it. Yuck. It was such a texture thing. All I could think about was the fact that I was eating snails, and had a hard time getting it down. It took all I could to swallow the little sucker!



I will never eat escargot again. The salad and cheese on my plate were much better!



I got an imported cheese plate and enjoyed it much better! I wrote down all of the names of the cheeses, but between here and there I've misplaced it. Go figure!




Everything on the menu was something completely different than anything I've ever had. This restaurant was one of my least favorite. Not because of the quality of the food, just because its flavors and combinations that I'm not used to. I would have rather gone back to Mama Melrose's :) I ordered the Steak hache Angus, champignons et Bearnaise, Salade ou frites. Basically it was a hamburger with a tomato-mushroom relish and skinny fries. It was different, but pretty good. Of course they had
Croque Monsieurs that I would have loved, but those were too cheap! I was going to get the biggest bang for my buck with the meal plan!



Elizabeth ordered the Salmon Filet with Ratatouille. Her oldest son loves salmon, so it was sort of for him :) He would have loved that place. Creme Brulee is also his favorite and they had that there too!


And for dessert,



Elizabeth's Apple Cinnamon Crpes with Berries and Vanilla Ice Cream



And I got a fabulous chocolate cake!


**I'm too tired to dig out the menu to get the description of what we ordered. Until I do...there's the pictures :)



And we also got a visit from Remy himself from Ratatouille! Such an incredible trip. But, boy, was I ready to get home to my babies!! I couldn't get on the road fast enough. And we won't mention that little detour that Elizabeth and the GPS had us take!

Don't forget to check out Day One and Day Two!

1 comment:

  1. Love remembering the trip through pictures and your writing!!! Sittin here now....wishing we were there!!! Thanks for the thoughtful picture selection....I was a little worried as I scanned down that there might be some funnier moments shared....but just like the GPS story....some things are better left in Florida my friend!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete