Monday, June 7, 2010

Creamy Hash Browns

On Friday night I had a bag of Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns that needed to be used. I had all of the ingredients to make the Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole, but I wasn't quite in the mood for that. So I changed it up a bit to give it a more sophisticated flavor. I used Monterrey Jack cheese instead of cheddar, and used the garlic breadcrumb topping mixture from the Ricotta Parmesan Chicken. I made a big batch when I made the chicken, so I just kept it in the freezer for nights I might need some in a pinch! I also made it in 3 smaller ramekins instead of one larger casserole dish. You could make it however you want. A friend of mine added chicken and baked it in a larger dish. She said ham would be great also. The possibilities are endless. I like how the Monterrey Jack cheese gave it a creamy, cheesy consistency and the garlic breadcrumbs really worked well with the potatoes. It was more "grown-up" than the cornflakes bathed in butter. I don't think I'll ever make it the old way again! Put this one on the dinner table. Its awesome!



1 package Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack (or mozzarella)
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup butter, melted

Topping:

1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs (2 slices of bread)
1/2 clove garlic, chopped
1/4 cup grated parmesan

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 11 X 7-inch baking dish or a few smaller ramekins with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl combine all hash brown ingredients together; mix well. Spread into prepared baking dish.

In a food processor or blender, pulse bread and garlic to make the bread crumbs. Mix in the parmesan cheese. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture on top of the hash browns. You will have extra (you may only use 1/4 cup total). Put into a freezer zippy bag and keep in the freezer for future recipes!

Bake 35-45 minutes or until hash browns are bubbly and the top is golden brown.




Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. This casserole is yummy! I had to adjust it a little because my bag of ore-ida hashbrown was bigger than the simply potatoes brand, but it worked out wonderfully, and I had a happy hubby.

    ReplyDelete