Monday, June 7, 2010

Pinkalicious Strawberry Cupcakes

Yay! I know some of you have really been waiting on this recipe. I didn't want to post it until the magazine came out. The recipe was featured in the June issue of Eastern Shore Parents Magazine! I was so excited to see it in print last week! And a big Thank You to Erin from Erin Creel Photography. I absolutely love the pictures! Lynn, the editor of the magazine tried this recipe and e-mailed me to let me know how wonderful they turned out! I can't wait to make them again. They were fabulous. Elizabeth Green, The Cake Fairy, provided me with the cake recipe. It is wonderful because it uses fresh strawberries. Nothing against box cake mix, because the strawberry ones are great. But I love how when you take a bite of this cake it has a burst of fresh strawberries in every bite. And the icing is just that...icing on the cake! It is also made with fresh strawberries so it is perfect for the cupcakes. The recipe was given to me by the Fairhope Foodie readers on Facebook. I tweaked it just a pinch and it is great. I added too much moisture with the mashed strawberries, so I ended up adding more powdered sugar to reach the stiff consistency like I needed. Shhh...I ended up adding an entire bag of powdered sugar! You wouldn't have to add that much, but I needed a stiffer consistency for the pictures. Don't get me wrong, they were great! But if you're uncomfortable using a whole bag of powdered sugar don't feel like you can't make the recipe. You will just have a softer icing! I promise you will love this. I can't wait to make these again!


(Photo by Erin Creel Photography)

Strawberry Cupcakes:

2-1/4 cup cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 stick butter
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup fresh mashed strawberries
16 drops pink food coloring

Strawberry Frosting:

1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
4-6 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup mashed strawberries, drained well

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, salt and baking powder together in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl combine butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat for a total of 3 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl if needed. Quarter strawberries and pulse in a blender until mashed.

Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternating with the mashed strawberries beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Drop in food coloring and beat for 2 minutes.

Line muffin tin with paper liners. Divide batter evenly between 18 cups. Bake for 20-24 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.

For the Frosting:

Cream butter and cream cheese together with a mixer. Gradually add in 4 cups powdered sugar. Blend in vanilla and strawberries. Make sure to drain your strawberries well, squeezing with paper towels if needed. If you add too much liquid with the strawberries add extra powdered sugar to reach desired consistency. Pipe onto cupcakes.




And be sure to check out the latest issue of Eastern Shore Parents Magazine. Its a free local publication for all of us along the Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay! The cupcake recipe is featured as well as a picture of my oldest daughter, Ella. The photos were taken by Erin Creel of Erin Creel Photography. You can check out some of her latest work HERE on her Facebook page. She is mega-talented and did a fabulous job with my girls' pictures. I can't wait to work with her again!


(Photo by Erin Creel Photography)




Enjoy!




(Cupcake recipe from Elizabeth Green- The Cake Fairy)
(Frosting recipe adapted from The Fairhope Foodie readers)

2 comments:

  1. These cupcakes did not turn out well. They were very hard and tasted like flour. However, the icing was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hum...I hate they did not turn out for you! I have made them twice and they were moist and very yummy. Tasted like a bite of fresh strawberries. They almost tasted creamy...like they had milk in them or something. Did you use cake flour? Did you strain the mashed strawberries...because you weren't supposed to. The liquid is needed for the batter. Maybe better luck next time!

    ReplyDelete