Thursday, November 19, 2009

Bacon & Egg Pasta Frittata

Can you tell that I'm trying to use the opened bacon in the fridge? This kind of dish is perfect for late nights, or nights when you forget to thaw some meat out. Bacon and pasta are both B1G1 this week at Publix. I always have eggs and cheese on hand. I tweaked this recipe from Rachael Ray and made it more "pantry-friendly". You can eat it hot or cold. I slice up the leftovers and put it in zippy bags and eat it cold for breakfast on the way to work.



8 oz. spaghetti noodles (about half of the 14.5 oz box)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2
cup parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded cheese (I used marbled cheddar)
8 large eggs
6 slices bacon
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Bring a large pot of water to boil and salt it. Add pasta and cook until al dente. The pasta will continue to cook in frittata. Drain and reserve.

Cook bacon, crumble or chop, and set aside. (I cook mine in the microwave)

Heat a large nonstick skillet with oven safe handle over medium high heat. If all of your skillets have rubber handles, cover handle tightly in foil to protect it. Add oil and butter to the skillet and melt toget
her. Add milk and heat for about 3 minutes. Add cheeses and salt and pepper. Keep stirring so the cheese melts, and doesn't clump together too bad. (Some clumps are good because it creates pockets of cheese when the frittata is sliced). Toss sauce with cooked pasta to coat. Add beaten eggs to the skillet and stir gently to combine. Allow the eggs to set up on the bottom of the pan and become firm. Sprinkle the top with the crumbled bacon. Transfer pan to hot oven and bake 10-14 minutes, until golden. Serve from the pan or transfer to a platter. Serve hot or cold, cutting frittata into wedges.



**Be very careful when removing the pan from the oven. The handle will be HOT! I try to cover it with an oven mit to remind myself. I cannot tell you how many times I have burned myself trying to move the skillet, forgetting that it just came out of the oven. I did it tonight, in fact!

(adapted from Rachael Ray on Foodnetwork.com)

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment