Friday, November 20, 2009

Shepherd's Pie

This seems like the perfect time of year to make something warm and comforting. Shepherd's Pie is a classic. I had never made one until I tried Rachael Ray's 30-minute version. When I saw the potatoes and carrots on sale at Publix this week, I knew I had to make it one night. I have made it more "figure-friendly" by using the lean ground beef and substituting chicken broth for cream from the original recipe. When I make this I always have leftovers. One night of work in the kitchen for two nights of dinner. Not bad! Here's my version of Rachael Ray's 30-Minute Shepherd's Pie:




1-1/2 lb. Idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 lb. ground beef
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup diced onion
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup beef stock
2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 cup frozen peas (couple of handfuls)

Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain potatoes and return them to the hot pot. Combine sour cream, egg yolk, and chicken broth. Add the mixture into the potatoes and mash until potatoes are almost smooth.

While potatoes are boiling, preheat a skillet over medium high heat. Add ground beef and season with salt and pepper. Brown and crumble meat. Drain away any excess fat. Add chopped onion and carrot. Cook veggies with meat 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

In a second small skillet over medium heat wisk together butter and flour together 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy 1 minute. Add gravy to meat and vegetables. Stir in peas.

Preheat broiler to high. Fill a small rectangular casserole with meat and vegetable mixture. Spoon potatoes evenly over meat. Broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat until potatoes are evenly browned.

Serve with extra vegetables or a light salad. Enjoy!

(adapted from Rachael Ray on Foodnetwork.com)

3 comments:

  1. The Shepherd's Pie looks wonderful and easy. When Mom fixed it when we were growing up, she put crumbled saltines on top of the potatoes and heated it then she sprinkled shredded cheese on top. We called it Cracker Pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I am making this tomorrow night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to make this soon. I will let you know how it goes~ :)

    ReplyDelete