Saturday, November 28, 2009

Bagel and Egg Bake

I love bagels. I love them plain, with cream cheese, or jelly. I love the chewy texture. And, now I love them baked in a souffle style casserole with eggs, bacon and cheese. This is great for a weekend breakfast because you assemble it the night before and bake it in the morning. Try it this weekend or make it for an easy Christmas Morning breakfast. This week Publix has Thomas' Bagels B1G1 and 18 pk. Eggland's Best Eggs 2/$5. Yummy!



1/2 lb. bacon
4 bagels, plain
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
12 eggs
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste

Cook the bacon and cut into small pieces. Set aside. Cut the bagels into large chunks and put in a greased 9 X 9 casserole dish. Cover with the bacon and cheese. Mix slightly.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and salt & pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the bagels. Mix slightly making sure the bagel chunks are covered. Cover, and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Uncover the chilled bagel dish and bake in the preheated oven 30-35 minutes, or until eggs are firm in the center. If the top begins to brown too quickly, cover with foil until done. Serve warm.


My family really enjoyed this one this morning. I will definitely be making this again. It looks like its time to get more bagels at Publix!


(adapted from AllRecipes.com)

2 comments:

  1. I have a question. I was going to cook this tonight. Does it HAVE to be in the fridge overnight? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. probably. I think it might too liquid-y if you don't. You could try using less egg so that it won't have as much to soak up. Let me know if it works!

    ReplyDelete