Sunday, April 11, 2010

Chicken Cranberry Couscous

I had this on the Menu several weeks ago. I never got around to making it. I put it on the Menu again this week because Publix had Craisins and couscous on sale. This was a little out of our comfort zone. I have never made couscous before, and I haven't cooked using curry powder in years. Here's a funny story: I didn't really start cooking until my husband and I started dating about 8 years ago. The first time I cooked dinner for him I made Curry Chicken. You put the chicken in a baking dish and cooked it in the oven. Me, being the novice cook that I was, totally cooked the chicken to death. I was waiting for the chicken to brown. I didn't realize that when you bake chicken it doesn't turn brown! I haven't cooked with curry powder since. This was a good recipe to bring it back! My husband even really liked it. I thought I was going to have to warm up leftover Spaghetti and Meatballs, but he really enjoyed this. Thank goodness my cooking skills have improved since then :) This is a great new way to try chicken. The couscous is great for a weeknight meal because its ready in 5 minutes (couscous is tiny grains of pasta). The whole thing came together in under 20 minutes. It was really great!



1 10-oz. box couscous (use chicken broth instead of water)
2 tablespoons flour
1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
salt and pepper
3/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced or thinly sliced
2 ribs celery, sliced or diced, plus chopped leaves for garnish
1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped (I added more for garnish)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup evaporated milk

Prepare the couscous according to package directions. For more flavor, use chicken broth instead of water. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the flour, curry powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add the chicken and toss to coat.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned and just cooked through, 5-8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.

Add the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil to the skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sliced celery and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the cranberries and 1/2 cup chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the evaporated milk and chicken along with any juices; season with salt and pepper. Serve over the couscous and top with the celery leaves and extra cranberries.



Enjoy!


(adapted from Rachael Ray Magazine)

1 comment:

  1. You've got to try the Near East Toasted Almond Rice Pilaf instead of the couscous. It gives it a little crunch...it's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete