Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Tuna Melts

Tuna can be a very inexpensive way to add protein into your diet. Canned tuna is fairly cheap and when paired with a sale and coupons its a great bargain. My husband takes tuna for lunch during the week, but I don't usually eat it. This week Publix had the large Albacore packets on sale, so I wanted to try to incorporate them into an easy dinner. I came across this recipe in my Everyday Food magazine and knew it was going to be delicious! Its Emeril's recipe, after all! I ran my grocery store errands after work today, so it was a late night coming home. These came together in less than 15 minutes. Perfect for those busy weeknights. I used the capers in my half (my husband didn't want them), but I left the onion our of the entire batch. Raw onion is not my thing. Use what's pleasing to your family. I have never eaten capers before, but I've wanted to try them. I almost equate it to olives. To me, the olives on a pizza just enhance the flavor of everything. I love the salty bite. Same for the capers. They are soft, so they just blend in with the tuna, but they give you a nice salty bite. I got a small jar of them at Walmart for $1.50. So, its nothing to break the bank. But, you could certainly omit them all together. This is a quick, easy dinner you definitely want to try!



4 5-oz. cans tuna in water, drained (I used 2 6.4-oz. packets)
1/3 cup mayonnaise, plus more for spreading (use for the consistency you want)
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
4 teaspoons capers, rinsed and drained (don't forget to rinse...I did!)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled between your fingers (I didn't have this)
4 slices crusty bread (I used split ciabatta bread rolls)
8-12 thin slices of tomato (I used 3 per melt)
4 slices provolone (I used mozzarella)

Heat broiler. In a medium bowl, combine tuna, mayonnaise, onion, capers, lemon juice, salt, pepper and oregano and stir until thoroughly combined.

Arrange bread on a baking sheet and spread a little mayonnaise on each slice (I used halved ciabatta bread). Divide tuna salad evenly among slices, then top each with 2 slices tomato and 1 slice cheese. Broil until cheese is golden brown and bubbling, 3-4 minutes.





Enjoy!



(adapted from Everyday Food)

No comments:

Post a Comment