Sunday, April 11, 2010

Zucchini-Oat Bread

I love baking bread. Not "real" bread with yeast, but easy flavorful quick breads. Mix it up in a bowl, pour it in a pan, and voila. You've got bread! I had zucchini on-hand this week, so I wanted to give this recipe a try. It had lots of good-for-you-things in it: zucchini, applesauce, walnuts and raisins. I'm going to have to limit myself to one piece per day! This bread is so moist and delicious. I the crunch of the walnuts. Yummy Yummy Yummy!




1-1/2 cups sugar
2-1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats (I used quick cooking, but would be best with regular)
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 eggs
1 cup applesauce
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups shredded zucchini, unpeeled
1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped (I used walnuts)
3/4 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 9X5X3-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside. Combine 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon; set aside.

Combine the flour, oats, baking powder, salt, baking soda and remaining cinnamon; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat eggs with electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes or until foamy. Add remaining sugar, the applesauce, butter, and vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture, beating on low speed just until combined. Stir in zucchini, nuts and raisins. Spoon into prepared pan. Sprinkle with sugar-cinnamon mixture.

Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on rack. Wrap and store several hours before slicing. Makes 16 slices. (This makes a BIG loaf of bread. I would almost rather divide it into 2 smaller loaves).



Enjoy!


(adapted from Better Homes & Gardens)

1 comment:

  1. I made this into muffins and it made 24 generous muffins. They're really yummy and I won't feel like I should eat it all today - I can freeze the rest for other days. I also substituted 1 cup whole wheat flour & 1 1/2 cup white flour for the entire amount of white flour. They turned out great! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete