Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Curry Chicken

This chicken really brings back memories! I've briefly told this story in a previous post, but I'm going to tell it again tonight. When my husband and I first started dating, I was working as a part-time teller at Regions Bank in Mobile. The head teller, Mary Jo, would make this chicken dish and bring it for us to eat on special occasions. We all loved it! I was very new to cooking then. I knew that food was the quickest way to a man's heart, so I decided to cook dinner for Clay. I was still living with my parents, so I put together the dinner at their house. It was taking forever for the chicken to get done! I kept checking it and checking it. Everything else was ready, and I still had to transport it to Clay's house. My Mom finally asked what was taking so long, and I said, "well, the chicken isn't turning brown". Little did I know that chicken doesn't brown when baked in the oven! That chicken was SO dry! Thank goodness its drenched in a delicious sauce, because it was still edible! I haven't made this chicken since. I called Mary Jo several weeks ago and asked her for the recipe. She was very happy to share it with us. The chicken was delicious tonight! And this time, I knew not to cook it too long. I used a whole chicken, although next time I may just stick with the breasts. I know the whole chicken is cheaper, but to me the breasts are just easier. Worth the extra money in my opinion. If you do use the breasts, cut the cooking time down to around 35-45 minutes. You don't want them drying out. I also shredded the leftovers to make Curry Chicken Salad Thursday. I served this tonight with rice and leftover peas. I apologize the picture isn't the best. I couldn't get it to photograph well and Emme was demanding my attention!




1 whole chicken, cut up (or 4-6 breasts)
1 can Cream of Chicken soup (I used 98% fat free)
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup mayonnaise (I used light)
1 teaspoon curry powder

Cut chicken into pieces. Lay in the bottom of a 13 X 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. In a bowl mix soup, celery, mayo and curry powder. Spread over chicken pieces. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until chicken is no longer pink. Serve with the sauce.



Enjoy!



(adapted from Mary Jo Brierly- Thanks!)




4 comments:

  1. Mary Jo is my sister and she is a fantastic cook. I got this recipe many years ago and have made it many times. It is delicious with wild rice. This was actually the first dish I ever fixed for a small dinner party many, many years ago. Everyone was impressed. They were not aware that this was the only thing besides toast that I knew how to fix. You should try it. Hint: Do not overdue the curry. It is a strong spice. Enjoy! Liz Dugat

    ReplyDelete
  2. what kind of curry is that?
    i was thinking it was west indies or indian when it said curry. i've been trying to find a recipe for good curry. But it looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easy curry :) There's not much traditional curry going on here. Just an easy recipe using curry powder for the base of the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the flavor of curry, and loved this dish. The chicken turned out really tender, and the extra sauce was great for dipping the chicken in and mixing with the rice we had with it.

    I didn't use any celery, because I'm not a big fan of it myself. My husband liked the chicken, but felt that something was missing... maybe it was the celery. I liked it just the way it was. I will be making this one again.

    ReplyDelete