Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Menu 4/28

I really enjoyed getting this week's Menu together! I don't know if the Sneak Peek was really inspiring, or if I just am ready to be back! This week looks really good at Publix. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are FINALLY on sale again for $1.99 lb. This past week several grocery stores had great deals on chicken. Winn Dixie had good prices on chicken drumsticks and whole chickens, and Bruno's/Food World had the boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $1.98 lb. When chicken breasts go that low I really stock up. I trim each breast of the excess fat and put each one in an individual zippy bag. I then put all of the "zippied" chicken breasts into a large freezer bag. I pull out what I need and thaw in the sink in cold water. I use the boneless, skinless breasts in all of my recipes that call for chicken. Tonight, when I make the Curry Chicken, it will be the first time I have attempted cutting up a whole chicken so wish me luck! The Chicken Tacos were inspired by some tacos that I had this weekend at LuLu's in Gulf Shores. They were fish tacos on the menu, but I substituted chicken instead. I'm not huge on fish, so I didn't want to be disappointed. Chicken is a safe bet for me! When I get that recipe written up I'll break down the ingredients further.

For the
Publix Sneak Peek check out Michelle's match-ups at I Heart Publix.



Curry Chicken- Tues 4/27
Tuna Melts- Wed 4/28
Curry Chicken Salad- Thurs 4/29 (with leftover chicken)
Chicken Tacos- Fri 4/30
Snowball Cookies- Sat 5/1
BBQ Rub Ribs and Corn Bread Bites- Sat 5/1
Raisin Bran Muffins- Sun 5/2
Greek Chicken Pitas- Sun 5/2 (didn't get around to making this one!)
Moo-Shu Chicken- Mon 5/3

I will post the recipe and pictures after I make them on the designated day. To make it easier to cook with me, I decided to include a recipe ingredient break-down to make your shopping a bit easier. I haven't come up with the recipe for the Chicken Tacos yet, so when I do, I will leave a more detailed ingredient list. For now, what's listed is pretty close!

Curry Chicken (Tuesday)
1 whole chicken (on sale thru 4/27 at Winn Dixie)
Cream of Chicken or Celery
2-3 stalks celery
mayonnaise
curry powder


Tuna Melts (Wednesday)
20 oz. tuna in water *(big pouch on sale)
mayonnaise
red onion (I'm leaving this out)
capers (undecided on this one)
lemon juice
salt/pepper
oregano
crusty bread * (will need 4 slices)
tomato slices * (about 8)
cheese *


Curry Chicken Salad (Thursday)
2 oranges or 11-oz. can mandarin oranges (on sale thru 4/27 or 4/28)
3 cup cooked chicken (I'm using leftover Curry Chicken)
grapes *
celery
mayonnaise
yogurt *
soy sauce
curry powder (may omit because my chicken will be seasoned)


Chicken Tacos (Friday)
small flour tortillas *
chicken breasts*
black beans
cabbage *
cheese *
sour cream *
chipotle chilis in adobo
milk
yogurt? *
mayonnaise?
taco seasoning
salsa *
avocado *


Snowball Cookies (Saturday)
olive oil
quick-cooking oats
Pillsbury White Cake *
eggs
vanilla
walnuts
powdered sugar


BBQ Ribs, Iceburg Slaw, Corn Bread Bites (Saturday)
baby back ribs *
Stubb's Rub
BBQ sauce

iceburg lettuce
buttermilk
yogurt *
salt/pepper
parsley
dill?

all purpose flour
cornmeal
sugar
baking powder
salt
shredded cheddar *
sour cream *
green onions
cream-style corn (on sale thru 4/27-4/28)
hot sauce
egg


Raisin Bran Muffins (Sunday)
Raisin Bran Cereal
salt
flour
vegetable oil
brown sugar
granulated sugar
2 eggs
vanilla
baking soda
buttermilk
**I've been wanting to make this for a few weeks, so that's why its on the Menu :)


Greek Chicken Pitas (Sunday)
chicken breasts *
pita bread *
yogurt*
cucumber
garlic
lemon
feta cheese
romaine


Moo-Shu Chicken (Monday)
sesame oil ? (I may use veg oil)
garlic
cabbage * (or coleslaw mix)
carrots
green onion
hoisin sauce (good to have on-hand)
soy sauce
flour tortillas *
3 cups cooked shredded chicken *


Glad to be back guys! I hope you enjoy this week. I'm looking forward to trying these new recipes.

Tonight...Curry Chicken...and a funny story to go along with it :)










3 comments:

  1. Yummm... the Greek chicken pitas and Moo-Shu chicken sound perfect. Right up my alley! Can't wait to see the recipes and the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're back! I'm looking forward to seeing how
    the snowball cookies turn out...everyone loves a good
    cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snowball cookies??? Have mercy!

    ReplyDelete