Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Garden Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette

Zucchini and yellow squash are probably some of my favorite vegetables. And some that I don't eat enough of! So, when I find them on sale, I try to use them so they don't go to waste just sitting in my fridge. I have been holding on to this recipe for a LONG time! I can remember clipping it from the Cooking Light magazine way back when. I knew it looked like a great lunch salad recipe. This would be perfect served with some grilled fish or chicken. Really light. Perfect for bathing suit season! I left out the onions and herbs because 1) I don't like raw onions and 2) I didn't want to spend the extra money on the herbs for this. I figured it would taste just fine without it. If you grow your own, you're way better than me. I kill anything green in my house. I actually have had a plant for over one year now in my kitchen. And I'm proud to say it is alive and well. Maybe I'll get the herb garden one day. But for now, I kept this salad herb-less. This salad holds well, so it is a great salad to bring to a cookout or pack in a lunch. I think some pretty halved grape tomatoes would probably be good in this too. And the color would be great! All-in-all this was a great salad. It could have used a little more flavor...probably from the herbs :)



Vinaigrette:

3 tablespoons fresh orange juice (can get from 1 orange)
1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (can get from 1 lime)
2-1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Salad:

1-1/2 cups zucchini, julienned (I used 2 medium)
1-1/2 cups yellow squash, julienned (I used 3)
1 cup fresh corn kernels (I used canned, but fresh would be best)
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion (I omitted this)
1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped

To prepare vinaigrette, combine the first 7 ingredients, stirring with a whisk.

To prepare salad, combine zucchini and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add vinaigrette; toss well. Cover and chill.

*To julienne the squash cut into 1/4-inch slices, then into "sticks". Cut the sticks into 1-inch pieces.

**UPDATE: I packed this for lunch today and was less than thrilled. It tasted better fresh and crunchy last night when I made it. The veggies lost too much of their moisture overnight and watered down the dressing. I also should have used fresh corn. Read some of the reviews from the original link below.



Enjoy!


(adpated from Cooking Light)

No comments:

Post a Comment