Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Maple Pecan Chicken with Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Yum Yum Yum! This really hit the spot tonight. I love pecan crusted chicken tenders and I love maple syrup. I found this recipe and knew it was a match made in heaven for me! This was super easy. When I make my other pecan chicken tenders, it is a labor of love. These were much simpler and just as good. The maple syrup really played well with the mashed sweet potatoes. I even added maple syrup to the potatoes. That could certainly be omitted. After all, sweet potatoes are supposed to be healthy. So go easy on the butter and use Splenda instead of sugar. You can't go wrong. Also, instead of boiling the potatoes, if you have the time roast the potatoes in the oven before mashing them. Roasting them in the oven brings out the natural sweetness of the potato, and you will need less butter and sugar to make them taste really good. All of these ingredients are staples in my house, so this will be put on the Menu again. Clay really enjoyed it. I have an idea my stepson, Christian, would love this one too!



4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used 6 tenders)
1/4 cup maple syrup, or maple flavored syrup (buy the real thing at Sam's)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise (I use light)
1/2 cup plain panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped in large cubes
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 teaspoon sugar (I used a tad more)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional for potatoes)
splash of milk

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil; spray with cooking spray. If using chicken breasts, put breasts in a large zippy bag and pound slightly with a meat mallet (using the smooth side) until they're about 1/2" thick. I used the tenders so I skipped this step. Either way, season the chicken with salt and pepper.

In a shallow dish, whisk together maple syrup and mayonnaise. In another shallow dish, mix together panko and pecans (I had JUST enough to cover 6 tenders). Dip chicken into syrup mixture, then into panko. Place on prepared baking sheet. Top chicken with cooking spray.

Bake 15-20 minutes, turning once, until cooked through.

While chicken is baking, place potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and boil for 10-15 minutes until fork tender. Drain and return to pan away from the heat. Add butter, sugar, cinnamon and maple syrup to the potatoes. Mash with a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon. Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Season with a dash of salt.



Enjoy!


(chicken adapted from Betty Crocker)

No comments:

Post a Comment