Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Cheeseburger Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes

I had never made meatloaf until a couple of years ago. Never eaten it, in fact! Crazy, I know. The only recipe I have used is the one from a Betty Crocker cookbook. When I saw this I knew I had to try it because my Ella LOVES cheeseburgers. Publix and Winn Dixie had good prices on ground beef. Publix had pickles B1G1 and Idaho potatoes for $.49 lb. I was really impressed with this one. It had a moist consistency. I made it into two smaller loaves and baked it in stoneware. I ended up cooking it almost 30 minutes more than the recipe calls for, so check yours often. It really does taste like a cheeseburger! I will be making this one again.


2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped (I omitted this)
2/3 cup ketchup
2/3 cup bread crumbs
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sweet relish, drained of liquid
1-1/2 lb. ground beef
8 oz. cheddar cheese, cut into 1/3-inch cubes
2 lbs. new red potatoes (I used Idaho)
3/4 cup heavy cream (I used 1% milk + 2 T butter)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil a rimmed baking sheet. In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the ketchup, bread crumbs, eggs and pickles; mix in the onion. Crumble in the beef, add the cheese, and mix together. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and shape into a 4- by 12-inch loaf. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 160 degrees, about 35 minutes.

Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into chunks and place them in a large pot with enough salted water to cover by an inch. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain, return to the pot and mash with the milk or cream.

Let the meatloaf rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with the mashed potatoes.


Enjoy!


(adapted from Rachael Ray Magazine)


**I left my camera at work last night. I am going to try to get a picture tonight and post it later on!!

**Taking pictures of leftovers just isn't the same. So, I'm not going to post a picture. Click on the link to the original recipe to see a picture. It is delicious! Make your own and see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment