Monday, December 14, 2009

Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole

My Mom makes this casserole quite a bit. She usually uses the frozen hashbrowns, but since the Simply Potatoes Hashbrowns were on sale this week, I was going to use those. Obviously somebody else thought that the Simply Potatoes would make a nice hashbrown casserole too, because there on the back of the bag is the recipe! This is a smaller version of my Mom's. Her recipe fills a 9 X 13 casserole, but this recipe is a smaller version perfect for a weeknight meal. I have made it before when I did Breakfast for dinner for my father-in-law. It was great with eggs. My Mom serves this Christmas Day evening with our beef tenderloin dinner. It is an all around crowd pleaser and very yummy, perfect for the upcoming Holidays. I will post a picture when I get this made. I am tentatively putting it on the Menu for Wednesday, since I won't get to Publix for the new sale until Thursday!

Hashbrowns:
1 package Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup chopped onion (I omit this, or saute first before mixing)
1/4 cup butter, melted

Topping:
1-1/2 cups corn flakes, coarsely crushed
1/4 cup butter, melted


Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 11 X 7-inch rectangular dish or an 8-inch square dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl combine all hash brown ingredients; mix well. Spread into prepared baking dish.

In a small bowl stir together topping ingredients. Spread topping evenly over hash browns. Bake 45 minutes or until hash browns are tender.

**This casserole freezes well. You could double this and freeze one casserole to eat later. With the Hash Browns B1G1 this week, it would be economical to do so. Also, the only time I use Corn Flakes is for this casserole. I put the cereal in a large zippy bag so that it stays fresher longer stored in the box!


Enjoy!


(from Simply Potatoes)




No comments:

Post a Comment