Thursday, January 28, 2010

Nectarine Puffs

Tonight I ate dessert before dinner. Shame on me! I have chicken pot pies in the oven (I have them from a freezer-cooking day), so while they're cooking I decided to go ahead and make these puffs. And eat them too! They were very quick and would be great for entertaining. Very light and refreshing. You could substitute Cool Whip for the whipped cream, but the homemade kind is SO good. Let's invite Spring to come early. I think this dessert will do the trick! This week Publix had nectarines $1.97 lb and I also saw a good price at my local farmer's market. I got the cream at Wal-mart for less than $1 and the puff pastry was a little over $3. A whole box would make 18 of these, so keep the rest in the freezer, and only pull out as much as you're going to use.



Makes 9:

One 9-inch sheet puff pastry dough (2 come in a box)
4 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons sugar, divided
4 nectarines, pitted and thinly sliced
3/4 cup heavy cream, chilled
1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I forgot to add this)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lay the pastry on a floured work surface and cut into 3 strips (its already folded in 3 sections). Cut each strip into 3 squares. Arrange the squares on a baking sheet, brush with melted butter and sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar on top. Bake until golden, 12-15 minutes. Let cool.

In a bowl, sprinkle the nectarine slices with 1 tablespoon sugar; toss. Splenda could be substituted here to save some calories.

In another bowl, whip the cream, remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and vanilla until stiff (I used my stand mixer...much faster. Not to mention my arm is still intact).

Split each puff pastry square into 2 layers. Top the bottom half with the nectarine slices and a dollop of whipped cream (also could substitute reduced fat Cool Whip). Top with the "tops". I didn't do this, but I bet these would be great drizzled with a little bit of honey.

**I divided this recipe in thirds. I only made 3. I used the other puff pastry for my chicken pot pies! :)


Enjoy!



(adapted from Rachael Ray Magazine)




No comments:

Post a Comment