Saturday, January 16, 2010

Taco Chili Mac

Wowzers! What a nice combination this dish delivers! I wanted seconds, but I was so full from eating Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies all afternoon, I couldn't swallow another bite. I don't know why I haven't made this sooner. I've been carrying it around for no telling how long in my binder. My Mimi serves her chili over macaroni noodles, so I thought it would be nice to do the same here. This gives a Mexican twist to the original Chili Mac, and oh what a nice twist it is! This week Publix has their carrots, onions, ground beef and salsa on sale. Winn Dixie had their Old El Paso taco seasoning and Ronzoni Smart Taste B1G1 last week. This is warm and comforting and a nice change for your regular dinner menu. You have GOT to try this one!



1 lb. ground beef (or turkey)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
1 cup corn kernels
1 can black beans, drained
1-1/2 cups tomato sauce (see below for my substitution)
1-1/2 cups salsa
1 packet taco seasoning
1 box pasta (I used elbow noodles)

Cook ground beef in a large skillet over medium high heat until no longer pink. Drain excess fat. Add onions, carrots and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables have softened. Stir in tomato sauce, salsa, corn, beans and taco seasoning packet. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occassionally.
(**I did not have any tomato sauce, so I used the leftover tomato paste I used for the Italian Sausage Penne Bake. Use 3/4 cup tomato paste and mix with 1 cup water).

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well.

On a plate or bowl, lay down a bed of noodles. Ladle chili over pasta. Place a dollop of sour cream in the center and sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediatley.


Enjoy!


(adapted from Taste of Home)

5 comments:

  1. Here via I Heart Pulix. Hello, neighbor! I live over in Pensacola. Your recipes look great. Will have to try them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay so we made the muffins! YUM! then I started to cook dinner and my lil man wanted to use CHIPS...so we just changed from this recipe to the Taco salad...and Seriously, I want to thank you for easy and yummy ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much guys! You put a smile on my face :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fixed this last week and we loved it! Thank you so much for all of the wonderful recipes!

    ReplyDelete