Thursday, May 6, 2010

Chicken Fritters

There was a slight change of plans tonight when I realized that my Publix didn't have the Shrimp Skewers 10/$10 like what I saw in the Sneak Peek. I was a little disappointed, but then figured it would be a great night to make Chicken Fritters! My husband LOVES these and has been begging me to make them for quite a while now. The last time I made these I was about 7 months pregnant. Let's just say that I ate my fair share! My Dad used to make these all the time when we were little. I even remember taking the leftovers to the beach one day in the cooler and just eating them cold. The leftovers are great hot or cold, so pack some in a zippy bag and take them for lunch. That's if you have any leftover! These are not for you if you're on a diet or going for the healthy thing. But if you're going to cheat, these are totally worth it.



3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed into 1-inch pieces
salt and pepper
1 beer
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
6 cups vegetable oil

Trim chicken breasts of excess fat and cut into 1-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper.

In a large bowl, whisk beer and flour together.

Heat oil in a large, deep pot over medium heat (I don't know the temperature). Dump half of the chicken pieces in the batter and coat well. Drop the chicken pieces one at a time in the hot oil (you can test the oil to see if its ready by dropping a little bit of the batter into the oil. If it sizzles, its ready!) Cook in batches- you will probably do a total of 4 or 5 batches. Don't over crowd the pan. Put just enough to fill the surface. Once all of the pieces have been dropped in, cook for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown and chicken is cooked through (take out a piece and slice it open to check). Remove chicken to a paper towel lined plate and season with salt while still hot. Repeat with the rest of the chicken until all of the chicken has been cooked.



Enjoy!



Recipe from my Dad, Charlie Sumlin

5 comments:

  1. Sounds great! Do you think I could try this with shrimp too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you could! You would probably want to reduce the cooking time to make sure the shrimp didn't get tough. I actually saw Alex on the Food Network make cauliflower fritters like this yesterday morning! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank Alaina!! I am making them tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these tonight and they were great. I even put a little twist on them by coating them in buffalo wing sauce I picked up at Publix on BOGO. It was like boneless hot wing bites! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were great!! I added a little teriyaki sauce to the batter to tie it together with the teriyaki veggie stir-fry with brown rice. Only one thing missing.... Sweet and Sour Sauce. Maybe next time!!

    ReplyDelete