Sunday, May 2, 2010

Raisin Bran Muffins

When I saw Joy The Baker post this on her blog several weeks ago, her intro story alone had me hooked! Then, when I read the ingredient list and saw that the muffins were made with Raisin Bran cereal, I knew I had to give it a try. Let's face it, I'm sure most of us have like 20 boxes of cereal in our pantry. Oh wait...maybe that's just me! Cereal is always something that's on sale in the grocery stores. I can remember when McDonald's used to sell bran muffins. I went on a three week vacation with my grandparents when I was eleven. My Mawmaw was always on a diet. It makes me smile just thinking about it. While Pawpaw, my cousin Kathleen, and I would get biscuits and pancakes Mawmaw would enjoy her skim milk and bran muffin. She would do that so she could enjoy chocolate guilt-free later in the day! Just like Joy was describing in her original post, the bran muffin always gets back seat to the blueberry muffins. Nobody wants a bran muffin! Well, after tasting this one you might change your mind. These are muffins are not overly sweet. It is a clever way to use cereal to make muffins. Joy never disappoints! This muffin batter can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge for up to a week. It actually makes better-looking muffins after the cereal has had time to really soften (at least 6 hours). The first batch I made only sat for about 45 minutes before I baked them. It was like regular muffins with little flecks of Raisin Bran going through them. So, I made a second batch. Those were the ones in the picture. The ones I forgot about in the oven. Both batches tasted good. I just over did the second ones :) I've got more batter to make fresh ones in the morning before work. Fresh ones every morning this week before work if I want!


* Don't worry if yours aren't this "golden". I put them in the oven and went outside to do yard work. When I came in, the timer was going off. I forgot about them! So, I don't know how long these over cooked, but they were still edible. Just a little drier than they should have been! Thank goodness I only made a few because I still have batter in the fridge to make some this week. I won't forget about them next time!


1/2 of a 15-oz. box of Raisin Bran Cereal (I used about 4 cups)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup vegetable oil (could probably substitute applesauce)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups buttermilk

In a large bowl mix together Raisin Bran, flour, salt sugars and baking soda.

In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, vanilla extract and buttermilk.

Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. If you plan on baking the muffins right away, allow to sit on the counter for 45 minutes before baking. This will allow the cereal to soften.

If you'd like to bake the muffins throughout the week, place the batter in an airtight container and store in the fridge. Scoop into the muffin cups (either sprayed or paper-lined) when ready to bake. Sprinkle with a spoonful of granulated sugar if desired.

Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.




Enjoy!



(adapted from Joy The Baker)



1 comment:

  1. My mother-in-law has this same recipe and I posted it awhile ago also - such a great way to use that Raisin Bran!

    ReplyDelete