Saturday, May 22, 2010

Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken

I love the flavors of Sante Fe Soup. Well, I love the flavors of Mexican food in general. On one of the more recent blogs I've found, Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes, I ran across this recipe. I do not use the crock pot much. When I do use it, its generally on the weekend. Which sounds crazy, right? I work during the week, so why not put dinner in the crock pot and have it waiting for you when you get home! I am gone from 7:30 to 5:00, so I think that would totally be overkill. Even in a crock pot. A roast would maybe last that long. But I have found that when I do chicken, especially chicken breasts, they are dry and gross being in the crock pot for 12 hours by the time we sit down to eat. That being said, I figured I would give this a try over the weekend. You can serve it directly over rice, or wrap it up in a flour tortilla with rice and cheese like I did. I really liked this. I wrapped mine up with plain brown rice, so it was fairly healthy. I would like to recreate it for the stovetop though. I'm just not much for the crock pot. Nothing against the recipe though, because its really yummy! I'm just not a crock-pot-kind-of-gal. I like to stand in front of the stove and pretend I'm on Food Network :)




1-1/2 lbs. chicken breasts (I used 3)
1 can Rotel, undrained
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
8 oz. frozen corn (or the kernels from 3 ears)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 cups chicken broth
3 scallions, chopped (whites and a little bit of the green)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Combine chicken broth, beans, corn, Rotel, cilantro, scallion, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and salt and pepper in the crock pot. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and nestle down in the juices. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 6 hours. 30 minutes before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Adjust seasoning if needed. You can serve this over rice and top with desired toppings, or wrapped in a tortilla. I topped mine with cheese and sour cream. Avocado would have been fabulous!

**Update: I'm going to use this to make Clay some quesadillas tonight with the leftovers! Its a really versatile dish!




Enjoy!



(adapted from Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes)

4 comments:

  1. Do you use frozen chicken or does it have to be thawed? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used thawed chicken breasts this time. In the Chicken Chili I did in the crock pot earlier this year I used frozen. I certainly think frozen chicken breasts would work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you make a double bathch of the chicken and add a can of drained pinto beans you can make delicious enchaladas the next day

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is in my crockpot right now...trying Rotel "Chili Fixins" and skipping all the other seasonings. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete