Monday, May 3, 2010

Moo-Shu Chicken

I know a lot of you were looking forward to seeing this one. It did not disappoint! The best part about it was how quickly it came together. I sauteed the chicken breasts first and then assembled all the veggies. I did add a little bit of Asian Sesame dressing from my fridge towards the end because it seemed a little dry to me. Clay even ate it! He hates anything with lettuce, so I figured the cabbage part would be a total no-go, but he ate 3 of the wraps! He said he would have eaten more, but he was saving room for some cheesecake he picked up at Sam's Saturday :) I hope you guys enjoy this as much as we did. These are perfect for a quick weeknight meal!




1 tablespoon sesame oil (or substitute olive oil)
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 10-oz. bag shredded coleslaw (or shred about 1/2 head of cabbage)
2 cups sliced or shredded carrots
2 scallions, sliced (I omitted these)
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2-3 tablespoons Asian Sesame Dressing (optional)
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
10 flour tortillas, 6-inch size
3 cups shredded cooked chicken (3-4 chicken breasts or 1 rotisserie chicken)

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, carrot and scallions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook another 4 minutes.

Stir in the hoisin and soy sauce and cook 2 minutes (the hoisin sauce can be found on the Asian foods aisle. Its sort of the equivalent to an Asian barbecue sauce. Its priced around $2.50) Add the chicken; stir to combine with vegetables and heat through. This is where I added a squirt or two of Asian Sesame dressing, just to help combine the mixture.

To serve, heat tortillas following package directions. Spoon 1/2 cup of chicken mixture down center of tortilla and roll up.



Enjoy!



(adapted from Parents.com)


7 comments:

  1. Hi! I am a daily reader but have never commented. I love your site and have made many of the recipes! I saw you got this one from Parents.com. I have a favorite from Parents Magazine that I wanted to share with you. It's quick, healthy and delicious!

    Healthy Fried Rice
    Ingredients

    1 8.8-oz. package cooked brown rice (Uncle Ben's)
    1 16-oz. package desired mixed frozen vegetables
    1 cup frozen peppers and onion stir-fry vegetables (I sautee the raw onion and don't use the peppers)
    4 tsp. canola oil, divided
    3 eggs
    1 tsp. purchased stir-fry sauce
    3 Tbsp. purchased stir-fry sauce
    Lime wedges
    1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
    Directions

    1. Heat 2 tsp. canola oil in a large nonstick skillet on medium. Whisk eggs and add to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally to break up eggs, until set. Remove from pan. Add remaining 2 tsp. oil to the skillet and then increase the heat to medium-high. Stir in the frozen vegetables; cook for 5 minutes or until tender.

    2. Add stir-fry sauce and crushed red pepper to the skillet. Stir in rice and heat through, then mix in the cooked eggs. Let your kids squeeze on lime juice, to give the dish extra flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMMM! I love Moo-Shu, and this looks seriously delicious. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to have to give that one a try. My husband loves fried rice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made the Moo-Shu last night and the whole family agreed...it's a keeper =) Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made the moo-shu for dinner tonight! It was very good. My husband and two year old son loved it! I put ours over white rice, instead of the tortilla roll up. It is also a keeper at our house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made this tonight for dinner,,yum yum yum, I will be making this again! Next time I think I will try it with the fried rice from above!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait, I have lots of chicken and tortillas to use!!!!

    ReplyDelete