Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cranberry Almond Granola Squares

When I was pregnant with my first daughter, Ella, I loved the Special K granola bars. I thought they tasted like a jazzed-up Rice Krispie Treat. This recipe totally took me back. I love the gooey-ness the marshmallows give this granola bar. Its not dry like some of the other ones. This one is nice and sweet, and perfect with the cranberries. It was super quick to pull together. When I was cutting them, Ella said she wanted one. She grabbed hers and ran off to the living room. A few minutes later I hear, "Mama...I love these!" Sweet success in the kitchen! I have them all individually wrapped in cling wrap for a quick breakfast bite on-the-go!



3 tablespoons butter
1 10-oz. bag of marshmallows
3 cups granola cereal (I used Low-Fat Special K Granola)
3 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup almonds, chopped
1 teaspoon salt

Melt butter in a large pot over low heat. Add marshmallows, and cook, stirring occasionally, until melted. Remove from heat. Meanwhile, pour the granola cereal into a large zippy bag and crush with a meat tenderizer or rolling pin (or you could dirty your food processor, but why would you want to do that?!) Combine the cereals, cranberries, almonds and salt. Stir into the marshmallow mixture. Press cereal mixture into a greased 13 X 9-inch baking dish. Let stand for 1 hour. Flip out of the pan and cut into squares or bars. If you have a 15 X 10-inch jelly-roll pan you could use that to make thinner bars.



Enjoy!



(adapted from Southern Living)

5 comments:

  1. I love your blog. I've just started couponing and you have been such a help! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you give us an approximate cost for this recipe? Is this cheaper than buying them premade?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you make them cheaper than premade? Well, that would depend on if you get a good deal with coupons. This is what it cost me to make them (I had everything in my stockpile):

    Marshmallows: $.75 (on sale from Walmart)
    Rice Krispies: $1.50? (on sale from Publix)
    Special K Granola: $.90 (on sale from Publix)
    Almonds: $1.50 (on sale from Publix)
    Cranberries: $6 (bought the HUGE bag at Sam's)

    I used the entire bag of mallows and almost the entire box of granola. Everything else I have plenty for another batch or 2. So it really just depends. I wouldn't go out and buy all of these things at full price to make this, no. But if you can stock up on these things with coupons and sales then its a great deal. Not to mention, they're fun to make :) Hope this helps!

    And I also bought a ton of the Special K granola bars the last time they were on sale. I got them super cheap and they went super fast! So, it just depends on what's on sale...the ingredients for the bars or the premade bars :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got my mind racing! I bet the Fisher Fusion snack mix I got today for FREE would be a great substitution for the nuts/fruit. I got the Energy Blend which has cranberries, almonds and cashews. If you use the .50/off coupons from the Smartsource website, it makes them free this week. They are on sale $2/2. The recipe sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That snack mix would be great in this! You could certainly mix whatever you have. The basic ratio is 6 cups of cereal to 1 bag or mallows. I think Cheerios would be fun too! And I LOVE the Fisher nut mixes. I like the Energy Blend too. I'm getting some of those this week!

    ReplyDelete