Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Creamy Taco Mac

This is an ode to those good 'ole childhood days of Hamburger Helper. Or maybe I should say good 'ole college days of Hamburger Helper, being that I never ate it until then! I will admit that I have a couple of boxes in the pantry for emergency dinner nights when I'm good with a bowl of cereal, but Clay must have meat. It does come in handy. I must say, though, that this tastes much butter and is not any more difficult to fix. All of the ingredients are sale staples and you should have most of everything in your pantry. I know I did. This is great for busy weeknight meals because its something the whole family can enjoy.



1 lb. ground beef or turkey
8-oz. short pasta (I used macaroni)
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
1 packet taco seasoning (check out this recipe!)
3-oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
salt and pepper
shredded cheddar cheese (optional...I ran out)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water. Set aside. *I forgot to reserve the pasta water, so I just substituted 1/2 cup chicken broth when it is needed later*

Meanwhile, in a large skillet or saute pan, cook the ground meat over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Drain off any excess fat. Add the chopped onion and garlic to the skillet and cook 5 minutes until the onion begins to soften. Mix in the diced tomatoes and taco seasoning and let simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Stir in the cooked pasta, cream cheese, sour cream and reserved pasta water (chicken broth in my case). Continue to stir until the cream cheese is melted and the sauce is well blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer over medium-low heat 3-5 minutes to reduce the sauce a bit. Remove from heat and top with shredded cheese if desired.



Enjoy!



(adapted from Annie's Eats)

6 comments:

  1. oh, i'm so going to make this! thank you!
    -andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making tonight...will let ya know how we like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will be making this tonight!! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made this almost exactly as you did - I left out the onions because I have an allergy, but I even forgot about reserving the pasta water and had to use chicken stock, too. It was GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was so good! i forgot about the taco seasoning so at the last minute i added garlic powder, salt, cumin, red pepper and a little salsa. my husband and i ate entirely too much!
    -andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes, this is a keeper recipe! Only thing was the Publix taco seasonings I bought was a little spicier than I like but will just try a different one.
    Yummy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete