Monday, May 17, 2010

Chicken Scallopine

When I originally planned this meal out for the Menu, I was going to make Pork Scallopine. Publix had their pork loins on sale this week, and I was going to have the butcher cut it into pork chops for me. I still haven't made it to Publix. I didn't want to get the pork just for this meal, when I had chicken breasts in the freezer. I find myself spending more money at the grocery store than I typically would because I'm buying things to cook for the blog. I really need to start watching that! I am going to have to start cooking with my stockpile because I have tons of food here. I don't need to have huge trips to Publix anymore. Although, when a good week comes around I know I will! If you like pork and have some boneless chops that you want to use, pound them out to about 1/2-inch thickness and make this using the pork instead of the chicken. This recipe is from The Pioneer Woman, and in the original recipe she uses chicken. All of her recipes are fabulous. This one was no different. Clay ate this one too, but just picked out the mushrooms. He's gotten so much better about trying new things, but mushrooms aren't one of them!



1 box linguine noodles (I only had spaghetti)
4-6 chicken breasts
salt and pepper
flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
12 oz. white mushroom, sliced
1 cup chicken broth
1 whole lemon
1/2 cup heavy cream (can use half-and-half)
1 heaping teaspoon capers (optional)
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Flatten chicken breasts to uniform thickness (do the same if you're using pork chops). Season both sides with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour. Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Fry chicken breasts until golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside. If you're using 6 chicken breasts, you will probably have to do this in batches.

Throw the mushrooms into the pan and stir, cooking for 4 minutes until the mushrooms have some color. Pour in the chicken broth and the juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon (I halved the recipe when making it, so I only used 1/2 of a lemon). Stir to deglaze the pan, and then cook vigorously over medium-high to high heat for 1 minute, until sauce reduces. Pour in cream and stir, then add parsley and capers and stir. Remove from heat. Stir in salt and pepper (be generous with your seasonings). Place pasta and chicken on a platter and top with entire pan of sauce. Generously sprinkle with parmesan cheese.



Enjoy!



(adapted from The Pioneer Woman)


5 comments:

  1. Alaina, you are close, but you forgot either shallots or garlic in the sauce. Folding in some fresh herbs at the end would be a nice touch. At the very least some fresh chopped Italian parsley. Regards, David

    ReplyDelete
  2. David- you are totally right. It is missing something. I think that shallot AND garlic would really round it out. I did put in some fresh parsley, but it was still lacking. I guess I was a little afraid to mess with the recipe. The Pioneer Woman always has rave reviews. I'll be more courageous to venture out next time! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do a Chicken Scallopini recipe that includes frying bacon and using some of the bacon grease while you fry the chicken. It adds something pretty amazing to it. I think the recipe came from Johnny Carino's Italian Restaurant

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I added Herbes de Provence, garlic, and Marsala wine which probably changes the name of what this is. You started me off, and I had fun cooking and presenting it on my pretty platter. Normally, I serve dinner right out of the pan. I will take a picture next time. Thanks for helping me make dinner fun! Tony gave me a hug and kiss, and said dinner was good after! That calls for 5 stars, don't ya think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy- that's great that you added your own twist to it. The recipe was sort of missing something, so it sounds like you jazzed it up quite nicely! Good job on the "cool points" with the husband!! Did he do the dishes??

    ReplyDelete