Monday, May 10, 2010

Peanut Butter Coffee Cake

I was really looking forward to this Saturday morning. My husband loves peanut butter so I figured this would be a total hit. The original recipe called for an oat topping, but I didn't have regular rolled oats. I found a topping that used chocolate. Peanut butter and chocolate...for breakfast? In my house, Yes. I wish that I hadn't used my stoneware though. It doesn't cook like a regular baking dish and I had to cook it a lot longer than I should have to get it done in the middle. Doing that made the outside of the cake get too done. I wasn't exactly thrilled with the results. It wasn't as fluffy as it should have been. It was almost to peanut-buttery for me. If you like peanut butter and you have lots of it in the pantry, try this out. If not, read no further. This recipe is not for you :)




Cake:

2-1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup peanut butter (I used creamy)
1-1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup milk

Topping:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1-1/2 cups chocolate chips

In a bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Set aside. In another large bowl cream together butter and peanut butter. Slowly beat in brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until fluffy.

Add flour mixture alternately with milk to the creamed mixture, beating after each addition and beginning and ending with the flour mixture (1/3 flour, 1/2 milk, 1/3 flour, 1/2 milk, 1/3 flour).

Spread batter in a greased 13 X 9-inch baking dish.

In another bowl combine ingredients for topping. Crumble over the batter. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before cutting. Top with powdered sugar.



Enjoy...if you really like peanut butter!



(adapted from Natalie's Killer Cuisine)

1 comment: