Wednesday, May 12, 2010

French Dip Sandwich

Holy Moly this was good! I love a good French Dip and this did not disappoint! I took advantage of the great deal on the Oscar Mayer Roast Beef last week at Publix. If you feel like Martha, go ahead and cook your own roast. Me, not today! This is great for dinner or fix it for lunch during the weekend. Yum Yum Yum!




4 hoagie rolls
1 lb. roast beef, shaved or thinly sliced
4 slices muenster or swiss cheese
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 heaping teaspoon corn starch
2 cups beef broth
2 beef bullion cubes (optional, but intensifies the flavor)


Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Split the hoagie rolls and lay out on a large baking sheet. Cover 4 top slices of the bread with cheese and toast all 8 halves in the oven for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the bread is slightly toasted.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add onion and saute until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add the cornstarch and whisk for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the beef broth. Add the bullion cubes and simmer over low heat until the bullion cubes dissolve.

Add the roast beef to the sauce and warm over low heat.

To assemble the sandwiches, divide the meat between the 4 bottom halves of the bread. Top with the cheesy tops. Divide the liquid between four small bowls for dunking.


Enjoy!



(adapted from Rachael Ray)


5 comments:

  1. Wow that looks fantastic! I saw your comment on Joy the Baker's blog because the word "Fairhope" jumped out at me. I live in Mobile! And I also have a food/cake decorating blog: http://buttercakes.squarespace.com

    But my main blog these days is: http://www.anerdlikeme.com

    Its so great to meet another local blogger! I will definitely be keeping an eye on your posts, since I'm all about easy recipes!
    Ev

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought some roast beef! I see these in my future! Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to tell you I made your penne bake tonight (from January) and it was wonderful! I just added some mushrooms and sausage to the mix. It was voted "a keeper" by me and my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these last night for me, Jason and the kids!! They were easy & delicious!!! Maddi even ate some of the roast beef and bread with her carrots! We love French Dips anyway (Mary Anne's in Fairhope is so yummy), so it is great to have a recipe on hand~THANKS! I used provolone because I had some on hand and it was a perfect substitution. Definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this tonight and it was very good! Family really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete