Sunday, May 23, 2010

Jazzed Up Mac and Cheese

I made this recipe for the first time last year for Easter. I loved it. And let me just say that I don't really like tomatoes. I want to like tomatoes. I do. I really do. I've tried to eat them, and it just doesn't work for me. I can eat canned diced tomatoes cooked in something and ketchup. That's about the extent of it. The only other way I'll eat them is roasted or cooked in the oven. It brings out the sweetness in the tomato and it is oh-so-yummy. And if you don't like tomatoes, fine. You can either pick them off at the table, or just bake it with the topping minus the tomatoes. I really think it takes this mac and cheese over the top. The goldfish bring it back down to Earth. Who doesn't love Goldfish? The original recipe used breadcrumbs, but I read about several people substituting Goldfish in the comment section. Awesome. I only had the Original flavor this time, but I used the Cheddar flavor last time. Really, really good! If you're planning on entertaining with this recipe, go ahead and make the whole thing. If you're planning on making it for your family dinner, I would try to half it. It makes a ton...well, an entire casserole dish full! I made it for my brother's birthday dinner today and we have well over half of it left. I guess I know what I'm taking for lunch this week! I am going to grill some chicken breasts to throw on top with some steamed broccoli. That will cover me at least until Wednesday!



1 lb. elbow macaroni or cavatappi (the little corkscrews)
4 cups milk
1 stick butter, divided
1/2 cup all purpose flour
4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
2 cups shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 small tomatoes (I used about 6 plum tomatoes)
1-1/2 cups crushed Goldfish crackers

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain well and set aside. (I only had penne noodles on hand this time. It works best with the elbow macaroni noodles.)

Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it. Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a large pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook fora minute or two more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the cheeses and seasonings. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into a 3-quart baking dish.

Slice the tomatoes and arrange on top; season the tomatoes with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, combine them with the crushed Goldfish, and sprinkle on the top. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.



Enjoy!



(adapted from Ina Garten)

No comments:

Post a Comment