Saturday, May 1, 2010

Chicken Tacos

Last weekend we went to the beach with some friends and stopped by LuLu's on the way home. I don't eat out a whole lot, because unless its one of the expensive restaurants (hum... the Wash House!) then I feel like I could just cook it better at home and save the money. I've been disappointed the last few times I've been out to dinner. But take me to the Wash House and I'm a happy girl! I need to recreate their Key Lime Bread Pudding. Its to die for! But I digress. When we were at LuLu's the Fish Tacos stood out to me. I've seen lots of recipes and I've been wanting to try them. But as soon as I saw you could substitute chicken, I was sucked in. Fish is not something I eat a lot of, and I was afraid once it was in front of me I wouldn't like it. I didn't want another bad eating out experience. So, I substituted chicken. They were fabulous! They had black beans, chipotle cream sauce and cabbage instead of lettuce. I was in Heaven. Publix had a lot of the key ingredients on sale this week making it a great time to recreate it at home! These were not easy to eat. If you make them for a guy or a girl that you're trying to impress, you might want to hold off until the third or fourth date. I've been married long enough, so Clay didn't care that I was eating like a child!



1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces (I used 3)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup salsa
2/3 cup water
1 packet taco seasoning (use Old El Paso) (Coupon Here)
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt (Coupon Here)
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon chipotle pepper in adobo, finely chopped (plus 1/2 teaspoon of the sauce)
8 small flour tortillas (I used fajita-size)
shredded cabbage (could substitute lettuce)
shredded cheese
avocados (optional...added mine after the picture)

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add a splash of olive oil. Saute chicken until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Add black beans, taco seasoning and water (the Old El Pasa taco seasoning is worth the little bit of extra it costs. The McCormick taco seasoning was yucky. I've put the ones I bought in my donation bin!). Cook uncovered over medium heat about 5 minutes until thickened. Add salsa. Stir to combine. Cover and simmer over low heat about 10 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine yogurt, mayonnaise and sour cream. Remove the seeds from one pepper and finely chop. Add to the bowl. Add in about 1/2 teaspoon of the sauce from the can of peppers. This stuff is HOT! You could add more to your taste. Be sure to wash your hands after handling the peppers. Put the sauce in the fridge until you're ready to use.

Now its time to assemble the tacos. Put about 1/4 cup chicken mixture in the center of the tortilla, top with the chipotle cream sauce, cabbage and shredded cheese. I also added avocado to mine after I took the picture. YUM! You can also add more salsa if you'd like. Mine was hot enough from the chipotle cream sauce! Dig in!



Enjoy!



(inspired by the Fish Tacos at LuLu's)




Ella playing on the beach before heading to LuLu's. I am devastated about the oil situation out in the Gulf! There are so many ways to get involved. Check with your local organizations to see how you can get involved if needed!


3 comments:

  1. You have can of peppers listed in the directions. I don't see peppers in the ingredients. These sound delicious.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these chicken tacos for dinner last night and they were SOOOO good! My husband loved them! I found your website via iheartpublix! I'm loving both of your websites! Looking forward to Moo-Shu chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The canned peppers are the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (basically smoked jalapenos in a spicy sauce). They come in a can and are found on the Mexican aisle. I found my can at Walmart for $1.50. You only need 1 pepper for the recipe and the can has about 18 in it. The chipotle cream doesn't make or break the tacos. If you didn't want to use the peppers, you could certainly just substitute plain sour cream for the chipotle cream sauce!

    ReplyDelete