Saturday, February 20, 2010

Artichokes and Hollandaise

I have not made this in a LONG time! I'm really surprised that I even remembered how to do it correctly. Its kind of hard to mess up though, its so simple! And oh so good. My high school boyfriend's Mom used to make this. She was really my first inspiration in the kitchen. Man, she could cook! This is a great first course to a meal or just as a snack on a lazy Saturday afternoon. This doesn't fall into my healthier eating plans though. Its quite an indulgence. Try this sauce over eggs, Canadian bacon and English muffins for an Eggs Benedict. My sister makes this sauce every Christmas at her In-laws. Its a great recipe to have on-hand.



4 artichokes, trimmed
1 garlic clove, smashed (optional)
1 lemon slice (optional)
1 stick butter
3 egg yolks
1 lemon (about 1-1/2 tablespoons juice)
salt and pepper

Cut the stem off of the artichokes to create a flat bottom. You can snip the "thorns" off the tips of each leaf, but I don't do that (too time consuming and they soften after cooking). Place artichokes in the bottom of a large pot. Fill with water to come about halfway up the artichokes (you don't want them floating). I also added a smashed garlic clove and thick lemon slice for extra flavor. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook covered for approximately 30- 45 minutes or until the artichokes are tender (the leaves will come off with little resistance).

Melt 1 stick of butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Add 3 egg yolks to a blender. With the lid on, but the center cap removed, slowly add the butter to the eggs while the blender is on. This emulsifies the mixture. Squeeze in the juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1-1/2 tablespoons) and add salt and pepper to taste. Pour into a serving bowl and serve with the artichokes.

To eat, pull off the leaves of the artichoke and dip into the sauce. Pull the "meat" off the base of the leaf with your teeth and discard the rest. Continue to do this until you reach the center of the artichoke. Cut out the spiky center and discard. Cut up the heart and eat with the sauce.

See this link HERE for a detailed description of how to eat an artichoke.



Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness..... my mom used to make these and I couldn't for the life of me remember how. And it's obviously so simple. Thank you so much. This will bring back some great childhood memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! Brings back memories for me too :)

    ReplyDelete