Friday, February 5, 2010

Taco Filled Pasta Shells

Dawn Hoover, the columnist from Spice of Life, sent this recipe to me a couple of weeks ago. I knew it was definitely something that I wanted to make. Anything stuffed in a pasta shell has to be good! I think if I made this again, though, I would add more cream cheese. If your in the mood to try something different for dinner, give this one a try. I'll be warming up leftovers for lunch tomorrow!



Filling Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef
1 envelope taco seasoning
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup salsa
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
4-oz. cream cheese
1 box jumbo pasta shells (you'll only use about 16)

Additional Ingredients:

1 cup salsa
2 cups shredded cheese
1-1/2 cups crushed Tostitos (I omitted these)
1 cup sour cream (I ran out!)

In a large skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat until no longer pink; drain off any excess fat. Add taco seasoning, water, salsa and beans; cook over medium heat until thickened and most of the liquid has evaporated (about 10 minutes). Add the 4-oz. of cream cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat.

Meanwhile, cook pasta shells according to package directions; drain. Toss with a little olive oil or butter to keep from sticking together.

Fill each pasta shell with a heaping tablespoon of meat mixture (I just used the one from my silverware drawer). You should be able to fill about 16. Spoon 1/2 cup salsa in the bottom of a 9-inch baking dish. Top with filled shells. Pour the other 1/2 cup salsa over the top, cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake uncovered 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Sprinkle with crushed chips. Serve with sour cream and extra salsa. Throw on some shredded lettuce or green onions if you feel like you need some green :) Serve with some rice, corn or beans.





Enjoy!



(adapted from Taste of Home- originally sent to me by Dawn Hoover)

5 comments:

  1. I cooked this tonight and my family loved it!!! Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FABULOUS! A little effort to create a wonderful meal. I took leftovers for lunch and amazed everyone with my "skills"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband made this tonight for dinner, and it was a HUGE hit, especially with my three boys! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took longer than I normally spend on dinner, but TOTALLY worth it - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I agree. The whole shell-stuffing process is a little more time consuming. Glad it was worth it! The other stuffed shell recipe I posted is GREAT too!

    ReplyDelete