Monday, February 8, 2010

Zesty Penne with Sausage and Peppers

I just recently started cooking with Italian Sausage since I've picked it up during the sales at Publix and Winn Dixie. I really like the change it gives me in my regular dinner routine. I found this recipe in a Philadelphia Cream Cheese insert in one of my magazines. It is very simple and very delicious. Great for quick weeknight meals. The peppers give it a good fresh kick. You probably have most of these items in your stockpile. Its a great change on the noodles-pasta sauce dinner!



1 box Penne Noodles (I used Ronzoni Smart Taste)
1 lb. Italian Sausage
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 jar (26 oz.) spaghetti sauce
8 oz. cream cheese (I used reduced-fat)
1/4 cup milk (add more as needed for desired consistency)

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, brown sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Break up large chunks with a wooden spoon. Drain off excess fat. Return to skillet and add peppers. Cook 5-10 minutes or until softened. Stir in spaghetti sauce and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Add cream cheese, cook another 5 minutes or until melted, stirring frequently.

Drain pasta and return to pot. Add sausage mixture, mixing thoroughly. Add enough milk to thin out the consistency (I didn't measure, so I'm not sure how much I added. I'm guessing between 1/4 and 1/2 cup. It will resemble an alfredo sauce). Top with Parmesan. Serve with a small salad.



Enjoy!


(adapted from Kraft)

3 comments:

  1. Hey Alaina!! This recipe looks great!! I may actually try it with some regular or jalapeno-cheese venison sausage though. It is very healthy & lean! With all of the hunters' wives out there, it would be a great way to use up some of that venison sausage that is taking up room in the freezer. Let me know if you want some....we have plenty!! ;) I will let you know how it turns out! Thanks, Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! This is wonderful.I made it last night for my family and they loved it. I also reserved some of the sauce and put it over leftover pork tenderlion with peppers for myself, as I eat low carb, yummy! Very fast and simple, but tasted great. Very low cost. Keep the recipes coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted you to know this recipe is now one of my family's favorites. We have it almost every week. Thank you ever so much!

    ReplyDelete