Friday, February 19, 2010

Mary Tanner's Pumpkin Bread

ONE of the benefits of my Mom being a kindergarten teacher is the wonderful Holiday goodies she shares with me. I took Ella trick-or-treating with her class this past Halloween and a friend of mine, Mary Tanner, had brought some Pumpkin Bread for my Mom. It was the BEST! I asked for the recipe thinking maybe it had been handed down for generations. Nope. It was straight from Southern Living and could not have been any simpler to make! I have made it in many different size pans. My favorite are the mini loaves that I make in my mini-loaf-muffin-pan. I probably should find the real name for that! You could probably even make it in a real muffin pan. The bread is so moist and perfect for breakfast. I took it on our Disney trip and we ate it on the way to the parks in the morning. Just be sure to adjust the baking time according to the size pan you're baking in. Just check to make sure that the toothpick comes out clean.

3-1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
4 large eggs
1 15-oz. can pumpkin

Stir wet ingredients together in a bowl. In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients. Combine the wet and dry together and mix thoroughly (I used my Kitchen Aid Mixer). Divide batter evenly among 2 greased 9 X 5 loaf pans (Or smaller pans, just fill about 1/2 way full). Bake at 350 for 50 minutes to 1 hour (reduce time if using smaller pans). Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted into center of each loaf comes out clean. Cool pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.


Enjoy!


(from Mary Tanner Boothe- originally from Southern Living)


No comments:

Post a Comment