Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Chicken White Bean Pasta

This is another one of those recipes that I was holding onto just waiting on cannellini beans to go on sale! I added the zucchini because I love it and I thought the green would be pretty. The beans make it very filling. I love all of the fresh colors. This isn't a favorite of my husband's. He doesn't like zucchini or tomatoes. So...I knew he wouldn't like this dish. But, I can't cook Man Food all the time. If he doesn't like it, I have PLENTY of cereal! Publix had the big Italian sale this week with the Progresso beans and broth B1G1. I got some of the produce from my local farmers market. Serve this with a salad if you'd like. I like the one-bowl ease of this though. Its easy to curl up in my chair, bowl in hand, and enjoy dinner.



8 oz. rotini, ditaloni or other short tube pasta (I used 1/2 box elbows)
1 15-19 oz. can white beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup chicken broth (plus more if needed)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 large plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
2 medium zucchini, quartered and sliced
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
salt and pepper

In a large saucepan, cook pasta according to package directions; drain well and set aside.

In a blender or food processor, combine 3/4 cup of the beans and the chicken broth. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Place bean puree back in the pot used for cooking the pasta. Bring to a slight boil and pour the pasta back in with the bean mixture.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook garlic and zucchini in 1 tablespoon olive oil for 5 minutes over medium heat. Stir frequently to keep the garlic from scorching (If it does scorch start over. You will never get that bitter taste out of the dish). Add the tomatoes and cook for another minute. Add the remaining beans, shredded chicken, salt and pepper. Heat through. (Tip: Cut the tomatoes in half and gently squeeze over a bowl to get out the excess seeds and juice. Then chop and add to the skillet.)

Add the tomato mixture to the hot pasta and toss to coat. If you need to add more broth to give it a better consistency add it now. I maybe added 1/4 cup while mixing. Serve immediately.


Enjoy!



(adapted from Better Homes & Gardens)





1 comment:

  1. I was looking for a recipe to cook where I had all of the ingredients on hand and this was it. I wasn't really looking forward to it. I knew it would be ok because I love zucchini.
    But...oh my gosh, this was so good!! It sounds like an ordinary pasta dish but the white beans really give it flavor!!
    The whole family loved it. It will be added to my rotation!

    ReplyDelete