Sunday, February 28, 2010

Monte Cristo Waffle'wiches

I love a good Monte Cristo. I found this recipe in the Rachael Ray Magazine featured as a kids' recipe. I thought Ella would really like it. She just wanted a plain waffle. Go figure! I enjoyed my Monte Cristo Waffle'wich though! Instead of using regular bread, you just use two lightly toasted waffles. This week Publix had Aunt Jemima waffles B1G1. Also, with the Target and Manufacturers coupons you may have printed previously, you could score the Oscar Mayer Lunch Meat for $1.50 each. Great deal. I used Raspberry Jam, but any could be substituted. The original recipe called for apricot. Strawberry would be yummy. I'm not a huge fan of grape, so I'm not going to recommend that one :) This is a great change-up for a Sunday morning breakfast. Oh, and look at the original recipe for a slightly different version made in a panini press. I didn't feel like getting mine out this morning, and I also like the egg around the original one. Hope you like it!



1 tablespoon raspberry jam
2 frozen multi-grain waffles (I used regular, they were on sale)
1 slice ham
1 slice turkey breast
1 slice Swiss cheese (or mozzarella or Monterrey jack)
1 egg + a splash of milk (would be enough to make 2)
1 teaspoon butter
powdered sugar, optional
maple syrup, optional

Lightly toast waffles in a toaster. Spread each side with the jam and sandwich the ham, turkey and cheese between both slices.

Lightly scramble the egg and milk together in a shallow bowl. Coat the whole sandwich with the egg mixture (just like you would for french toast). Cook in a small skillet over medium heat in 1 teaspoon butter (you could also just use a good spray of Pam). Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted.

Cut into squares and drizzle with powdered sugar and maple syrup.


Check out the recipe link at the bottom. In the comments, somebody grilled theirs on the panini press and then dunked them in maple syrup! Yummy!



Enjoy!


(adapted from Rachael Ray Magazine)


No comments:

Post a Comment