Sunday, February 21, 2010

Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Cauliflower

Ahhhhhh! If I could sing about how good tonight's dinner was, I would. This was exactly what I have been craving. Cauliflower has never been a favorite of mine. I'm not a big fan of veggie trays, and that's really the only way I had ever had it. Roasting it with the sweet potatoes tonight was delicious! I will be having it more often in my house. My local farmers market had cauliflower and broccoli on sale this week for $.99 a head. I only used half. I may use the other half and make the Cauliflower Mac and Cheese I made a couple of months ago. So good! I always cook chicken breasts this way, but I never finish it with the sauce. It was really a nice twist at the end. If you're watching your calories, you could leave off the butter. Or just leave off the sauce all together and simply saute the chicken breasts in a little olive oil. I also served it with green beans because I love to see a little green on my plate. Shannon from The Bargain Buggy....you will love this one!



1 sweet potato, cut into large chunks
1/2 head cauliflower, cut into medium florets
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 tablespoon butter

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss sweet potatoes and cauliflower with 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until cooked through and browned, about 30-45 minutes. Flip with a spatula about halfway through.

Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper (I also put mine in a large zippy bag and pound slightly with a meat tenderizer to even the thickness). Cook until golden and cooked through, about 5-8 minutes per side (depending on the thickness). Transfer chicken to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.

To skillet, add broth and 1 tablespoon vinegar. Cook over medium-high, scraping up browned bits, until reduced by half, 3-5 minutes. Return chicken and any accumulated juices to skillet and turn chicken to coat with sauce. Remove from heat and stir in butter. Serve chicken with vegetables and pan sauce.


Enjoy!


(adapted from Everyday Food)

3 comments:

  1. Yum! Wasn't sure what I was going to do with the chicken breasts I just took out of the freezer but now I know what we are having for dinner. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alaina, We are having this for dinner tonight.....chicken, sweet potatoes and cauliflower....yummy! Thanks! Aunt Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate all the "tips" you add into how you make your food. I am an ignorant cook, so everything you add in (like pounding the chicken breasts to make them cook evenly---never thought of that!) is so helpful!!! I lOVE your site!
    Kelley

    ReplyDelete