Friday, February 26, 2010

Fast Chicken and Rice

I feel like its been forever since I've posted a recipe! Ella's birthday dinner at her YaYa and PawPaw's was nice. We made the cheeseburgers, but I should have known that I wouldn't have done the pictures. Its simple though: 1 lb. ground beef, 1/2 lb. Jimmy Dean sausage, some small cubes of cheese, seasonings, form into patties and grill! I'll do a post at some point, but that should cure any of your curiosity for the time being! Tonight's dinner was another quick one. Clay was working late and I had some errands to run after work, so I was glad I had planned this. You can see the original recipe HERE that makes it even faster. I used a box of Rice-a-Roni Long Grain Wild Rice. You could use Knorr Rice Sides that are on sale this week at Publix or a box of Uncle Ben's Rice. Use what you have on hand. Chicken and Rice is a method. Now, since this recipe has Stir Fry sauce I wouldn't use a Spanish Rice, but you get the point :) So glad its Friday. I have A LOT of coupons to get organized this weekend. I'm on the fence about getting a binder but I'm just not ready to hop over yet. Enough about me...here's the recipe...



1 box of Long Grain Wild Rice (I used Rice-a-Roni)
3/4 cup frozen peas
2 chicken breasts
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup stir-fry sauce
1/2 cup pecans, chopped (or almonds)

Cook rice according to package directions. Add peas the last 4 minutes of cooking.

Meanwhile, pound chicken breasts slightly in large zippy bag (to allow them to cook evenly). Season with salt and pepper and saute in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat about 6 minutes per side, or until no longer pink. Remove from heat and allow about 5 minutes for them to rest (this allows the juices to redistribute so the juice doesn't run all over the cutting board as soon as you cut into them). Cut the chicken breasts into chunks.

Combine the chicken and rice mixture . Stir in the stir-fry sauce and heat through. Add in pecans. I served my husband's portion with garlic bread. I consumed enough calories today to leave the bread out of dinner!



Enjoy!



(adapted from Better Homes & Gardens)

No comments:

Post a Comment