Sunday, February 28, 2010

Cleaning Out My Pantry!

My pantry was in desperate need of being cleaned out! I really don't know where I am going to put all of this stuff. I cannot believe how much food my family has, and how little I'm spending to give it to them. I knew when I had another baby and we would have two in daycare, that we were going to have to cut back somewhere. Most of our bills are set (utilities, phone, etc.) but the one bill that I was determined to cut back on was Wal-mart. I just didn't know how to do it. I knew that our monthly grocery bill was outrageous ($800 month +). By shopping smart and using coupons, we are able to keep the "extras" that we enjoy every month and still put good food on the table. This has been such a blessing to my life. Not to mention a fun hobby! I told my husband this morning that me pulling all of this stuff out to look at and organize is the equivalent of him doing the same thing with his baseball cards years ago :) I'm very proud of what I've been able to do!!







This is my pantry stockpile items (everything that's not opened). Its so much easier to cook when I've got all of the basics in the house. I used to run to Wal-mart for lots of little things that I would forget. Or, actually, I wouldn't...I would send my husband. He's very good about running little errands like that for me! When my daughter asked for pink cupcakes for her birthday, all I had to do was look in the pantry and grab the Strawberry Cake Mix I bought one week at Publix on sale. I have been able to help other friends who are struggling by giving them bags of groceries. This has been very rewarding all the way around.




One side of the stack-o-cans :) I stocked up on the beans at Publix last week. This was the first time I noticed canned beans go on sale since I started couponing last October. I'm not a huge fan of canned veggies, but canned beans are a must. I keep the canned green beans for quick dinners with chicken nuggets for Ella. And the canned corn is great in cornbread and muffins. I still go to Sam's and get the big bag of frozen Bird's Eye Whole Green Beans. Those are the best! Oh, and another good tip: Try using chicken broth in recipes that call for water (like rice mixes, mashed potatoes, etc.) You add tons of flavor to a quick-cooked meal!




Side two of the stack-o-cans! Cleaning out and organizing your stockpile is a very good way to see the items that you need. Yes, even with all of this stuff, I do still need Cream of Mushroom soup. All of mine are Cream of Chicken and Cream of Celery! I'm not running out to the store tonight to get some...I'll just keep my eye out for a sale, and get some later. Tomato Paste is also something that's good to keep on hand. You can reconstitute it to make tomato sauce.

I cleaned out my freezer the other day. I'm stocked there too. The toiletry cabinet is going to have to wait. Although, that cabinet isn't too unorganized. I keep that one in check!


Now, I have to go try to get this stuff back in my kitchen!







4 comments:

  1. Wow!!! I dream that my pantry will be that full one day! I am getting better though. Thanks for all the wonderful recipes and tips!

    Question... What types of things do you freeze? I find myself turning down deals because I'm afraid I will not use the items before they expire. For example, we love, love, love cheese and there are always deals...do you freeze? I currently freeze bread and herbs in ice trays along with the other normal items...but any other tips would be great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I only freeze bread and already frozen items. I'm kind of funny about how they will turn out once unfrozen. I've heard that cheese freezes pretty good shredded. So, if you find a good deal, maybe you could shred it first. Most things I buy in bulk are non-perishable things. We go through a TON of cheese, so I'm always buying it and it gets eaten fast! And of course, I freeze meat and sausage in 1 lb. portions (Jimmy Dean sausage in 1/2 lb. portions and chicken breasts in individual baggies). I will sometimes freeze casseroles. Make a double batch and put one in the freezer. Chili freezes well after its been cooked. Freeze it in a zippy bag and lay flat in the freezer. Reheat and instant dinner! :) Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete