Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Apple Walnut Oatmeal

I wanted to do something light and healthy for dinner tonight. I know I posted an oatmeal recipe Saturday (Baked Oatmeal with Berries) but it was so good it left me wanting more! I bought some Granny Smith apples the other day when I was going to make the grilled cheese for supper. Anyway, I changed my mind, so I never made it. This oatmeal sounded perfect because it cured my craving for oatmeal and used up my apples! Try it this weekend. A healthy, quick breakfast is perfect. The walnuts give the oatmeal great texture and the maple syrup was the icing on the cake!



3 cups water
2 medium tart apples, chopped (1 large would be fine)
1-1/2 cups old fashioned oats (I used quick cooking)
dash salt
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped almonds (I used walnuts)
maple syrup and/or milk (optional)

In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring water to a boil. Add the apples, oats and salt; cook and stir for 5 minutes (2-3 minutes for quick-cooking).


Remove from the heat; stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes. Sprinkle each serving with walnuts. Serve with maple syrup and/or milk if desired. I drizzled mine with maple syrup and right before serving poured over a splash of milk. Yummy! The maple syrup was awesome. I halved this recipe, so I got two good servings out of it. The other half is breakfast tomorrow!



Enjoy!


(adapted from Taste of Home)


No comments:

Post a Comment