Wednesday, March 3, 2010

One Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs

This recipe turned out really yummy. Not a "stoup" like Rachael Ray's original recipe. Closer to a big bowl of spaghetti and meatballs. But, it all cooks in the same pot...hence the new name! Rachael Ray describes her "stoup" as thicker than a soup but thinner than a stew. I think I put too many noodles, which contributed to mine thickening up more. You can lessen that amount if you want to aim more for the "stoup" consistency. I like eating mine with a fork, so it worked out perfectly! I like having the carrots tucked in there too. Ella ate hers with no problem. Heck, even Clay ate them! This recipe makes good use of the spaghetti sauce, chicken broth, bread crumbs and parmesan cheese that has been on sale at Publix. I must confess though. My meat was not thawed when I got home, so I had to improvise and use frozen meatballs. If you have those in the freezer, go right on ahead. It makes this dish that much easier. I used 20, but I think you could throw a few more in there. If spaghetti is a favorite around your house, knock this one out. Its sure to be a crowd pleaser!



2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped (I used about 1 cup chopped baby carrots)
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth (1 carton)
1 26-oz. jar spaghetti sauce (My Classico jar was 24 oz.)
2 8-oz. cans tomato sauce
1 lb. ground beef
1 large egg
1/3 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, divided
salt and pepper
3/4 box spaghetti, broken into thirds (I used whole wheat)

In a large soup pot, combine the olive oil, onion, carrots and garlic and cook over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes. Add the chicken broth, spaghetti sauce and tomato sauce. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.

In a large bowl, using a fork, combine the ground beef, egg, bread crumbs and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese; season with salt and pepper. Roll the meat into balls the size of a large walnut and drop each one into the soup pot (will make about 16-20 meatballs). Simmer for 10 minutes.

**This is where you could make life easier and use frozen meatballs like I did!

Stir the broken spaghetti into the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 12 minutes. Add in the additional 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste. Its ready to serve now, but I covered it and reduced the heat to low and simmered probably another 15 minutes or so until we were ready to eat. Serve in bowls and top with additional parmesan cheese. We served ours with some Cole's Garlic Bread we got B1G1 at Publix a couple of weeks ago.



Enjoy!


(adapted from RachaelRayMag.com)

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I make a Lasagna Soup which sounds similar. I love to be able to use spaghetti sauce in other non-traditional ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here! I have so much of it and I was trying to find different ways to use it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this tonight and it was great. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete