Sunday, March 7, 2010

Chicken Salad Pita Pockets

This is the version of chicken salad that my Aunt Susan makes. I've made it before for showers and served it on croissants. It is my favorite version. You can use chicken breasts like I did this time, or use a rotisserie chicken. That's what I've done in the past. I forgot to get the celery so I had to leave it out this time. I really like it for the color and the crunch, but it was still delicious without it. Make it the night before to get the full flavor out of it. Leftovers are great to use throughout the week for lunch. I ate mine on the way to Enterprise Friday to visit Shelley. Not only was it yummy, but it saved me $5 at a fast food drive thru!



4 cooked chicken breasts, chopped or shredded
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup cranberries
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup celery, diced
pita pockets (or croissants)

In a small bowl mix the mayonnaise and lemon juice together. Mince the garlic. Sprinkle salt over the garlic and rub the back of your knife over the garlic to flatten into a paste (the salt acts as an abrasive and it breaks the garlic down to help it more evenly distribute throughout the mayonnaise). Mix the garlic paste into the mayonnaise. Add chicken, cranberries, pecans and celery. Mix well. Serve in pita pockets or croissants.



Enjoy!


(adapted from Susan Lisenby)

No comments:

Post a Comment