Sunday, March 7, 2010

Asparagus Pasta with Pecans

This is going to be my lunch all week! Publix had asparagus "on sale" this week. Its still not a great price, but I couldn't wait any longer to post this recipe. I first made this Easter last year. Its a Southern Living recipe, so I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. Its great as is, or you could add chicken and bulk it up as a main course. Leftovers are even great cold eaten more as a pasta salad. And did I mention that it cooks in about 15 minutes. That's right. Quick, easy and delicious!



1 box penne pasta
1 bunch fresh asparagus
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 garlic clove, mined
1 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup pecan halves

Prepare pasta according to package directions; rinse and drain (I forgot to rinse).

Snap off tough ends of asparagus, and cut into thirds. Saute asparagus in a hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat for 4 minutes. Stir in red bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Stir in salt and pepper.

Toss together pasta, asparagus mixture, parmesan cheese and pecans. Garnish with additional cheese and pecans, if desired.



Enjoy!



(adapted from Southern Living)

5 comments:

  1. Hello there! I can't wait to eat my asparagus as usual this time just seasoned and baked but next time, I'm doing this. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Heather @ www.savingmoneylivinglife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this last night and my family loved it. I didn't have any chicken broth so I used lite Italian dressing instead - added to hot pan and let it cook down a little. This is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, that's a great idea! I love hearing how you guys are able to change up the recipes to fit your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this recipe! I added some shredded chicken. (I had a rotisere chicken so I had some leftovers). Plus my husband is a meat man.
    We actually ate it the next day cold with some italian dressing and it was very good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made this with fresh pecans from my own backyard! YUM! I added chicken, too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete