Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts

I almost didn't make this tonight. I still needed to get baby spinach at Publix because they were out when I did my shopping last Thursday. The weather was starting to get bad and I just didn't want to get out. But, I had really been looking forward to this recipe. I am really glad I braved the rain and made this. Awesome! It really tasted like it came from a restaurant. I kept it simple and served it with Rice-a-Roni and green beans. The original recipe had bacon wrapped around each chicken breast. I didn't have any, but feel free to try it that way! Since I didn't use the bacon, I seared both sides in a skillet and finished it in the oven. See the original link if you want to try the bacon. This would be perfect for entertaining. It is so pretty with the green spinach and cheese coming out! And be sure to pound the chicken breasts out thin enough. The thinner you pound them, the quicker they will cook. It also helps when trying to wrap them around the filling to close.



1 10-oz. bag fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup sour cream (I used light)
1/2 cup shredded cheese (mozzarella or monterrey jack)
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 boneless chicken breasts- pounded to 1/4" thickness
salt and pepper


Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place spinach in a large glass bowl, and heat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring at 1 minute intervals, until wilted. Stir in sour cream, shredded cheese and garlic.

Lay the pounded chicken breasts on a clean surface. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the spinach mixture onto each one. Roll up chicken to enclose the spinach. Secure with toothpicks. Sear in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes on each side. Finish cooking in a 450 degree oven for 10-15 minutes until no longer pink. When you take the pan out of the oven be sure to put an oven mitt over the handle so you don't burn yourself, because that handle is HOT! I have burned myself a countless number of times from touching the handle.



Enjoy!


(adapted from AllRecipes.com)

3 comments:

  1. I am new to your site and absolutely love it! My kids are very picky eaters but have loved many of your recipes I have cooked. I get so excited to see the new recipes you post each day! I was in such a rut with my menus but you have changed that! Thanks so much! I can't wait to try this chicken....
    Jennifer McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer- I am so glad that you're enjoying the recipes. I was also in a rut with my cooking before doing this blog. Its so nice to try new things...especially when they turn out as yummy as this chicken. My 3-year-old daughter loved it. She kept asking for more "chicken with lettuce on it"!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm making this tonight for supper. Super excited! I don't live in Alabama anymore, but I still use the site for money saving tips and yummy recipes!

    ReplyDelete