Thursday, March 11, 2010

Awesome Carrot Muffins

I wish I didn't like to bake so much. I really do not need any of this mess in my house. These muffins are a little more on the good-for-you side though! The oil is reduced by using applesauce, and there's only a moderate amount of brown sugar. This is the first time I've made these muffins using the applesauce and I really was impressed (see the link for the original recipe). I think I will look for that substitute in future recipes. These muffins freeze well, so its good to make a whole batch and stick some in the freezer for easy breakfast on-the-go. Ella likes these too! I was cooking from the pantry this week, so I had all of the ingredients and only paid $.79 for the carrots. These would be great to take to a school for an Easter party with some cream cheese frosting! But that defeats the healthy part, doesn't it?!?




1 cup raisins
2 cup warm water
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 cups shredded carrots

Combine raisins and water in a small bowl. Let soak for 15 minutes. Drain raisins, discard water and set raisins aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, oil, applesauce and brown sugar; beat well. Combine egg mixture and flour mixture; mixing until just moistened. Fold in carrots and drained raisins. Spoon into prepared muffin cups.

Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool before 30 minutes if you frost them (I eat mine as is).



Enjoy!



(adapted from AllRecipes.com)

4 comments:

  1. This is the first recipe of yours that I have tried, and it is fantastic! I just finished making (and eating) them, and have decided that this is going on my "make-often" list.

    I substituted half of the flour for whole wheat, and added extra cinnamon and some nutmeg. I also drizzled a simple mixture of powdered sugar and water over the tops of them while they were still warm and let it soak in. mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely a recipe you can play with. I want to start working with whole wheat flour next. And great tip about the cinnamon and nutmeg. When my daughter took a bite she said, "its like pumpkin bread" :) So the nutmeg would go great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's me, I'm back- I made these again and served them as cupcakes with cream cheese icing at a birthday party and they were gobbled up quicker than normal cupcakes ever are. People love these things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Laura- I made these for my Mom's birthday and used a can of Cream Cheese frosting...super yum! So glad you liked them...and made them again :) Its definitely a great recipe to have!

    ReplyDelete