Sunday, March 28, 2010

Crunchy Asian Slaw

I would have to say that this is probably my Mom's signature salad! She makes this all the time and it always gets rave reviews. Secretly though, I think she makes it because she loves the leftovers! I love the sweet crunch. This is perfect as a side or add some chicken and make a wrap. I made the Sesame and Ginger Chicken last night with some quick fried rice and made it into a one-bowl dinner. Talk about good! It makes a lot though. I only used 2 bags of coleslaw mix and didn't use all of the dressing. My Mom uses 3 bags of coleslaw mix and all of the dressing. It can feed an army! This would be great on the Easter table too!



2-3 bags shredded cabbage (or coleslaw mix)
2 3-oz. bags slivered almonds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds (keep these in the fridge)
1 package chicken flavored ramen noodles

Dressing:
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons Accent
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
flavor packet from ramen noodles
6 tablespoon vinegar (I used apple cider)
1 cup vegetable oil

Mix dressing ingredients together ahead of time and refrigerate (makes a lot). Toss and bake almonds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds together at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes ( I didn't do this and its still good...just better if they are toasted). In a large bowl layer 2 bags of cabbage, seeds and dry ramen noodles (crush the noodles). Right before serving toss with dressing. When it begins to wilt down you can add the 3rd bag of cabbage (if you used ALL of the dressing) to add volume and crunch.


Enjoy!


(adapted from The Madison County Cookbook)

No comments:

Post a Comment