Monday, March 22, 2010

White Bean Tortellini Soup

Lindsay, a reader, sent me an e-mail today asking for this recipe. It was on the menu a couple of weeks ago and I never got around to making it. I almost just e-mailed her the recipe, but it really sounded good! So, I decided to make it tonight. It was so fresh and delicious and exactly what I wanted. Thanks Lindsay! I know its going to get better in the fridge, so I'm really looking forward to leftovers for lunch tomorrow. The weather has turned cold once again, so this warm soup hit the spot. Most ingredients in the recipe are pantry staples or past sale items at Publix. I did call my husband and get him to grab and onion and zucchini at Publix on his way home. He's really good about doing stuff like that for me! Make this great soup as a farewell to winter!




1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 medium onion, finely chopped (1/3 cup)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 32-oz. carton chicken broth
1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted)
1 medium zucchini, sliced and quartered
1 19-oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 19-oz. can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained

1 9-oz container fresh cheese tortellini 
*optional- 1/2 lb diced cooked sausage
diced cheese, for garnish
parmesan cheese, for garnish


**I also have recently started adding diced conecuh sauage to this soup.  I chop 1/2 of a 1-lb package and saute it in a separate pan.  You can either sprinkle the sausage on top of each bowl, or stir it directly into the pot once its ready.

**I added tortellini at a later date after posting this recipe years ago.  This soup is one of our family favorites and it gets made often!

In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat, then add onion and garlic and cook 3-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in broth, tomatoes, and beans. Bring to a boil. Add tortellini and zucchini and cook according to package directions.  Reduce heat; simmer uncovered, until zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes.
Serve with diced monterrey jack cheese and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.


Enjoy!

(adapted from Parents.com)

2 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how thankful I am for this recipe!!!!!!! I made it tonight before church and it was FABULOUS!!!! I used tomatoes with jalapenos and pepper jack cheese (we like spicy food) and it completely set it off :o) Thank you again and I can't wait to try some of the recipes that you have in store this week!
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for pushing me to make it :) So easy and so yummy!

    ReplyDelete