Sunday, March 21, 2010

Blondies with Chocolate Chips and Walnuts

Its Sunday afternoon and time to bake! I had everything on hand for these so I though, Why Not? The last time I was at Sam's I bought a big bag of walnuts. I keep nuts in the freezer to extend their shelf life. Nuts have oil in them, and the oil can turn the nuts bad quicker in the pantry. I love keeping walnuts and pecans on hand at all times. Nuts are pretty interchangeable in recipes, so use what you have on hand.



1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Rub an 8-inch square baking pan with butter.

With a mixer, beat butter and sugars until smooth. Whisk in egg and vanilla. Add flour and salt; mix just until moistened (do not overmix). Fold in 1/2 cup each chocolate chips and walnuts (I added them all...OOPS) Transfer batter to prepared pan; smooth top. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips and walnuts (all of mine when IN the batter).

Bake until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clan, 40-45 minutes. Set pan on a wire rack and let cool completely. Cut into squares. Store blondies in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 2 days.



Enjoy!


(adapted from MarthaStewart.com)

1 comment:

  1. I didn't have any nuts but had everything else on hand, so i just added a few more chocolate chips. These were so easy and SO good! My husband ate them with ice cream. Also I didn't have a square pan so i put them in a round one. My son thought it was a giant cookie. Thank you for the great recipes! I love this site!
    -Andrea

    ReplyDelete