Friday, March 26, 2010

Bacon Cheeseburger Calzones

I don't know if I'm just tired, but I just can't think of an intro for this! This was good, but not fabulous. I enjoyed the Italian Sausage Calzones better. The recipe was pretty basic, so you could use additional ingredients to jazz it up a bit. My husband enjoyed it though. He just likes meat and cheese, so that's how I fixed it. Once I had my piece plated, I added mustard and pickle relish. Now, it really tastes like a cheeseburger! Play around with it, and come up with a version that your family enjoys. And if you haven't already, check out the other calzone recipe too. Yummy!



2 tubes pizza crust (I used thin crust)
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper
4 slices bacon, sliced into 1/2" pieces
1 cup shredded cheese
ketchup
mustard (optional)
pickle relish (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef and onion. Drain off excess fat. In a separate skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain and combine with the beef mixture. Add the Worcestershire sauce and cheese and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.

Roll out one dough and top one half with half of the meat mixture. Top with additional shredded cheese if desired. Squeeze ketchup over the top (no more than 1/4 cup per calzone) Fold over to seal. Crimp edges with your fingers and transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat with other dough. This could be done carefully on the baking sheet so that the calzones don't have to be transferred (that's what I did).

Cut a slit in each calzone to vent. Brush with olive oil. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.



Enjoy!


(adapted from Rachael Ray Magazine)

3 comments:

  1. Please, please, please come up with a recipe for the cheeseburger wrap from Beef O'Bradys! It's one of the best tasting wraps and a novel way to eat a cheeseburger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cooked this tonight but kinda tweeked it. My kids love tacos, so I filled the calzones with taco meat, salsa and cheese. It was so yummy! My kids ate seconds! I really love the corner pieces with lots of just empty bread! Again, I love your site! Thanks for all you do!

    Jennifer McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea...I will definitely have to try it that way! We're big taco eaters around here :)

    ReplyDelete