Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sausage Stuffed Chicken Breasts and Cheesy Polenta

Hummm....not really sure what to say about this one. Although it wasn't one of my favorites, it doesn't go on the "never-make-again" list. If I do make this again, I would change some things up. This was my first time cooking and eating polenta. It is a thicker, creamier version of grits. And, yes, it was thicker. And being a Southern Gal I am used to grits being a certain way. If I were to make this again, I would thin it out with some more chicken stock (I did add an addition 1/2 cup or so, but it was still too thick). Although Clay said, "Why don't you just make grits next time". Good point. I have made this chicken before, but I used the apple gouda flavored chicken sausage. That was better in my opinion. The original recipe called for 1 lb. of sausage to be split among 4 chicken breasts. I used about 1/2 lb. between 4 and I thought it was still too much. Less sausage and maybe add some cheese. If you have polenta pointers, feel free to share. Next time I'll stick to what I know!



4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
1/2 lb. Italian sausage, casings removed
2 cups milk
2 cups water
1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 cup yellow corn meal
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons butter
4-oz. cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Pound each chicken breasts to around 1/8" thickness (not too thin because the chicken will tear). Season both sides with salt and pepper. Divide the sausage among the chicken breasts and roll up. Secure with toothpicks.

In an oven proof skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Place the chicken in the pan seam side down and cook, turning, until browned all over (about 5 minutes per side or until golden). Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until cooked through, about 25 minutes (I cooked mine an extra 5 minutes).

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring milk, eater and salt to a gentle boil. Gradually whisk in polenta. Reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook 15-20 minutes, until creamy, lifting the lid and stirring every 3-4 minutes to prevent sticking (I added additional chicken broth to thin out while stirring. Maybe around 1/2 cup or so). Remove pot from heat, stir in pepper and butter. Gradually stir in cheese.



Enjoy!



(Chicken Stuffed Sausage adapted from Rachael Ray)
(Cheesy Polenta adapted from AllRecipes.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment